Fly Fusion Forums

Wow Is All I Can Say

Walking back to my vehicle I saw another angler below me playing a fish. He ends up not landing the fish and I call down to him and ask what he caught it on. He looks up at me and asks if I'm a fly fisherman. I reply yes. Obviously because I'm holding my fly rod over the side of my vantage point in plain site. He replies "Then you should know not to ask." I sit in my disbelief for a moment when he looks back up and mutters "the end of my line", turns and starts casting. I wait a quick moment to see if there was a punch line to his antics. Nothing. I think about giving him some sort of salute, but just walk away. If it is wrong to ask another fly fishermen what he is using, then I want out of the club. I'd like to be known as just a fisherman from now on. If you are the guy and are reading this, I say to you that you are what is wrong with this sport and give fly fishing a bad name. Rant over

Sorry to hear about that man... don't rent any space out in your head to that fella... No Vacancy for poor attitudes!!

Seeing things like that on the forum are my pet peeves.. hot spots..... actual techniques... only as I believe there are prowlers on here with other ideas than what we do... yet PM'ing or face to face man... especially on the river now thats a different story!

Don't worry about that guy, maybe he is having a hard time at home or something and just doesn't have the know how to not include others in his troubles (thats being optimist)

Then again a nice big stone thrown at a " beaver in the run" to help him, may do the trick lol ( on second thought ...ignore that )

Walking back to my vehicle I saw another angler below me playing a fish. He ends up not landing the fish and I call down to him and ask what he caught it on. He looks up at me and asks if I'm a fly fisherman. I reply yes. Obviously because I'm holding my fly rod over the side of my vantage point in plain site. He replies "Then you should know not to ask." I sit in my disbelief for a moment when he looks back up and mutters "the end of my line", turns and starts casting. I wait a quick moment to see if there was a punch line to his antics. Nothing. I think about giving him some sort of salute, but just walk away. If it is wrong to ask another fly fishermen what he is using, then I want out of the club. I'd like to be known as just a fisherman from now on. If you are the guy and are reading this, I say to you that you are what is wrong with this sport and give fly fishing a bad name. Rant over

Wow. If I see someone catch a fish, I always ask what they were using. And I always will.

Chatting stream-side has always been an enjoyable experience for me. Not everyone wants to talk so I try to respect that and give em' room. Others are downright rude or aggressive, so more and more I tend to give people space. Earlier this year I was sitting having tea, a couple of feet from the water, waiting for a brown to start feeding again after I had hit him with a sloppy cast. A couple of young fellows with top end fly gear worked their way up to my run. I noticed a couple of snouts popping up on the run they where about to hit and gave them a wave. One of them looked at me dumbly as I told him about the feeding brown and the snouts above them. He gave me the finger and the other young guy called me a stupid old a**hole and they know what they where doing (well I am getting old, and do process an a**hole) along with a few other choice adverbs.

They proceeded to walk through the pool in front of me me and right through the rising browns ahead with deaf eyes. I do have to admit there seems to be less respect on the water but I try to not let it bother me. It does diminish them not me. Like my dad liked to say "You can't fix stupid."

I have no problem telling other anglers what I'm using. A boat passed by earlier in the evening and asked about my luck. Told them I got a few on a size 12 gray hares ear. They aren't fishing near me and even if they were, technique or presentation is key. Living in a world where people believe that numbers are what determine a good outing and are afraid of being bested by another angler is a sad world. When I started and you ran into another fly angler, decent conversation and exchange of information was the norm. Back then information wasn't found at stroke of a keyboard, it was learned or taught and passed on. I won't let this person ruin a good evening on the river. If he felt that telling me that he hooked his fish on a caddis was wrong then fine with me. Maybe he was not from around here, who knows. He spot was no big secret either since he was below a bridge. I guess what got me was his cocky attitude. Maybe there is a reason he was fishing by himself ...

Well Garlic, I happened to be out with the gentleman in question ( I am his son), and was fishing downstream of him towards the bank. In his defense, you are talking about a 70 year old man with a serious hearing problem(he is easily startled), who had been asked that question numerous times last night prior to you (the price you pay for fishing under a bridge). A seasoned veteran such as yourself must also be aware that it is nice to engage in some small talk before getting down to the nuts and bolts. If he seemed to be short with you, that is unfortunate. He too is an 'old school' Bow fisherman, like yourself, who has instructed and coached a small army of fisherman over the years, and I often see him chatting with others. I am sure you have had an off day or two over the course of your flyfishing career. Don't be to hard on the old feller. Good luck and tight lines.