Fly Fusion Forums

What Critter Is This?

hydropsyche

Does anyone know from what critter this pelt is from?

Pelt.jpg

This is a close up. Its a barred redish brown with a dark grey base along the back and the belly is a barred light grey with a lighter grey base.

PeltClose.jpg

I got it from a hook and hackle annual auction because it looked really cool. I'm assuming its some kind of squirrel (10in from end to end). I was replenishing my box with Whitlock's Red Squirrel Nymphs. I decided to pull this out and tie some nymphs in the same style (the whole fly from the same skin). The body is from the grey belly and the thorax is from the brownish back. Because its grey with brownish/grey "hackle" and tail, I decided to call this an Adam's Hare's Ear.

AdamsHaresEar.jpg

I haven't fished this yet, but I looks like its worth a try. Soon.

Thanks Fisher. The picture's colour is a bit off. The colours are just like an adams. I haven't seen too many Hares Ear tied in those colours and if an Adams gets attention on top, why not down under?

I think its a red squirrel (as opposed to a red fox squirrel). Thanks for the ID guys/fur rubbers. ;)

Thanks Fisher. The picture's colour is a bit off. The colours are just like an adams. I haven't seen too many Hares Ear tied in those colours and if an Adams gets attention on top, why not down under?

I think its a red squirrel (as opposed to a red fox squirrel). Thanks for the ID guys/fur rubbers. ;)

there is something to be said for fur rubbing...