Fly Fusion Forums

Net V No Net

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

better a fish in the net than the second nymph in your hand. It is also nice to be able to let the fish have some water with out running on you

Really a personal thing based on your fish handling ability but I have always liked a net for larger trout, I find less stress on the fish before release and I can control a larger trout easier for extracting hooks. I don't always use use a net but decide on the situation. Many times I release a fish without a net and just unhooking a fish in the water never touching it our picking it up. If the area I'm in isn't conducive to this then I rely on the net.

Really a personal thing based on your fish handling ability but I have always liked a net for larger trout, I find less stress on the fish before release and I can control a larger trout easier for extracting hooks. I don't always use use a net but decide on the situation. Many times I release a fish without a net and just unhooking a fish in the water never touching it our picking it up. If the area I'm in isn't conducive to this then I rely on the net.

X2

Mike

I agree with the doctor and would add that I think that unless you are very skilled landing w/o a net the potential for squeezing and abrasion on rocks is very much higher. Both net and non net landing removes some slime (maybe a bit more for net)but slime removal is lower on the list of problems.

What the good doctor said.....

A couple of other things.

If you have one of those cheap string nets, don't use it as it damages a fishes protective coating and is too abrasive. Makes a better wall hanging. I like the "Ghost" rubber nets for gentle handling.

Get a net that is big enough to accommodate a large fish, not something that will fold the poor thing in half.

Hemostats and other devices are great for gently exacting a hook from a fish without removing it from the water.

Never throw a fish (of any species) back into the water, it will stun them damaging internal organs, gills and set them up for predation.

Gently catch and release with respect every type of fish life.

I Personally do not carry a net anymore, I am pretty cofident in my fish handling skills, and if I lose the fish before it gets to my hands oh well it doesn't matter to me.

However I will say there are times when a net is good, big fish in dangerous water, from a boat, helping out a friend who's fish has taken a huge run and is way down river, etc..

Not saying you need to use a net or you dont need to use a net.