Fly Fusion Forums

Creel Question

I’ve never used one, but I may have reason to in the future and it seems to boil down to two basic choices – the classic wicker type creel or the plastic cooler bag style. My inclination would be to go with the willow/wicker style because my experience with cooler bags is that they only hold ice for a few hours and once that is gone they tend to get warm and gross inside, but I don’t know if that really applies in this case. Thoughts?

I started out with a wicker creel, but found it kind of bulky. Tried a couple cooler bags, solved the grossness problem by lining it with plastic shopping bags, but packing enough ice made it too heavy for my liking. I ended up deciding that if I was going to keep a fish, I'd do a shore lunch then and there. Since then I've gone >99% C&R, but if I was going to carry a creel again, it'd be wicker, for sure.

I just use a denim bag I made out of the leg from an old pair of Wranglers, Jim Stelfox's idea actually. If you keep it wet it will keep fish fresh for 7-8 hrs. Much easier to deal with than a wicker creel but does tend to ruin the Orvis Look if that what you're goin' for.