Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boat, Frame Vs Framless.

I'm looking at buying a pontoon and have been thinking about all the ins and outs, I would like to hear some thoughts.

I'd like the boat to be versatile in that I could use it to do some river floats like the kootenay for fun (not necesarily fishing), or

on bigger lakes- Spray or Kananaskis for example.

Even potentially to set crab traps (which we do from kayaks) to hopefully prawn traps which are way to deep to do from a kayak. What are the concerns as far as salt water on the pontoons themselves?

I'm not really interested in a motor just because it seems like more weight and hassle and money.

Haven't decided whether I need to stand or not, can you stand on them without the standing platform?

I like the Dave Scadden frameless models but I'm not sure what they would be like in bigger chop on a lake. On the other hand these are light enough to day trip into alpine lakes.

My other choice would be the Outcast PAC10' or 9'. These seem like really nice boats with the ability to customise or macguyver.

Obviously money is a concern otherwise I would just get a jet boat.

All comments appreciated!

I've got a SCadden outlaw escape, it's awesome takes less than 3 or 4 minutes to inflate, 2 bladders plus the seat, light at 24 pounds, it holds 500 lbs, has oars and a footbar, this is my 3rd season with it and its still like new and I use it ALOT, a little more$ than other pontoon boats but well worth the $, in my opinion, it's like a float tube pontoon combo.

I have not had the chance to sit on a frameless Scadden so I cannot say anything about it's handling but I will say at 22lbs it can easily be hiked into any alpine water, any 9' framed pontoon will average about 55lbs.

There are three types of pontoon frames made/used aluminum, stainless steel and steel. Stainless and aluminum will hold up about the same in saltwater conditions. Any unprotected (painted) area of a common steel type frame will start to rust right out of the box. Depending where the frame was made it could have started to rust in the box.

"Not a frame for salt water use".

9' pontoons are the minumum to get but will not work as a stand up.

10' pontoons is the minumum starting point for standup's

11' pontoons are the Cadilacs of standup's

Any framed pontoon can be easily modified to accomidate just about any type of add on you would/could want.

Frameless not so much.

My 11' standup has a floor that slides under the seat if you are inclind to dangle the feet. The thigh bar also folds back so you are not restricted whether you are casting sitting down, paddling or just getting in or out of the pontoon. This type of set up keeps you dry, I wear just runners.

The best suggestion I can make is buy quality, which costs.

I know people that have 10 year old pontoons that I would use to play on the Harvie Passage.

post-1844-1339336947.jpg

post-1844-1339336962.jpg

dube,

I have an Scadden Escape and used it once. Works OK. Foot bar would work with boots but doesn't with fins.

My boat has 8' tubes and I use it <>90 days/year. Longer tubes are only necessary if you go with standup.

The shape of your tubes is critical. Severe rocker means that the boat sinks further into the water. Plus the piece sticking up which doesn't do a lot except act as a sail. Severe rocker is a pain in thin water. Hangs up regularly. My tubes are flat on the bottom. I don't draw a lot of water. The Oldman above the damn, the Clearwater near Rocky, the Waterton above the damn, the Belly + others here and there have many "thin" sections where severe rocker means you line the boat rather than rowing it.

I've had aluminum frames - they break - and two friends broke - different manufactures. Mind you we use our boats - some don't - those boats last forever.

I've got a boat with tubes by a guy from Red Deer, Seat by Bucks, two of the side bags by Bucks, Two other bags by Scadden, Oars by the Chinese, frame by Outcast. I wear things out.

For the money, Outcast is about the best value. Scadden is great but more $'s. A friend has two Bucks - both work great although internal bags are very thin. Light boat though.

Like anything. No boat will work for everybody or in every instance.

regards,

Don

I have a scadden framless outlaw assault in its great, you can fish still water in comfort and never worry about tipping in high waves. or you can float any river you have the balls to float as its rated for class 5 whitewater. As far as customizing you can do anything you want, I have a motor mount with a trolling motor and fish finder for lakes as well as 2 scotty glue on mount flyrod holders and a anchor mount. I have not found anything I either wanted or needed that I couldnt put on my boat.

Wayne