Fly Fusion Forums

Hanson's Fly Fishing

I wanted to give a shout out to Hanson's. My son Ben is a co-op engineering student at the U of A and is on his first work term. He is working out of Wandering River on the Hwy 63 twinning project as a material tester. 12 hour days, 24 on 4 off (yikes!). On his off time, he is super bored and decided he wanted to learn to tie flies to pass some time, and to sell me flies. I talked to Wayne who found him an old vise, spent a couple of hours showing him the basics, and set him up with all he needs to get started. I think a bunch of copper johns and wolly buggers are in my future.

Anyway, I wanted to thank Wayne for taking the time to teach him.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Great small shop, they were nice enough to let me be their tier in the winters when I'm in school.. its nice to be able to work f 2 hours after 5 h of homework

And just think, tomorrow I take 12 kids flyfishing, and every kid will have rod...thanks to Hanson's!

Cheers,

Smitty

thats nice of him , everything in life comes back two fold for acts of kindness

my little story about hanson's

last year coming back up the river at end of the day , see a guy waving from a drift boat so i slide on over to see what the excitement is about , well it's none other then Wayne himself , he tells me that one of the guys '' me thinks it was a big goofy texan '' had left a dandy hardy rod and hardy reel up on the bank at a certain area , would i be so kind to stop and try to find it before it's long gone , said for sure and i stopped and searched and found it , nice outfit , left a message at his shop and he called me back and came out to okotoks and picked it up a couple days later after i got off the river that night ,

what he brought me was a couple dozen nice flys for doing him that favour , what comes around in life goes around ,

last year coming back up the river at end of the day , see a guy waving from a drift boat so i slide on over to see what the excitement is about , well it's none other then Wayne himself , he tells me that one of the guys '' me thinks it was a big goofy texan '' had left a dandy hardy rod and hardy reel up on the bank at a certain area , would i be so kind to stop and try to find it before it's long gone , said for sure and i stopped and searched and found it , nice outfit

I have no idea what you are talking about. But if I did know, I would say it was up for debate who actually left the rod. And if a rod was left, it was a 6 wt Hardy Zane Grey saltwater rod and possibly the saltwater hardy reel. Hardly worth going back for.....

Wayne's a great guy, used to hang out in the shop when I worked at the Palliser, and I was super stocked when I moved to Vancouver and they opened a shop a block away from the hotel there.

Colin

yep , coming from you tex , it would be a senior moment , <--poke--< , and just to let you know bud , i did see and copy that stone pattern you had on your rig that day , ha ha

That is sooo funny im always trying to look in my buddies fly box and rip off his patterns .....The guy has some creative talent when it comes to tyin flies.

Ain't that the truth. I'll go into the shop and he'll hand me something that looks like a drugged out artists abstract conception of what a disabled bug might look like underwater, if the fish looking at it was drunk, and say "try this." I'll raise an eyebrow and say "sure." Then come back the next day and say "can you tie me a dozen?"