Fly Fusion Forums

My First Pike With Alot Of Firsts

jasonvilly

So I didnt get out to Badger on Sunday because I was sick so I decided to head to Glenmore to try and cast some pike flies that I had tied up. Fully expecting to get skunked as I hear glenmore isnt the best fishery. Mostly wanted to try casting the heavier flies.

So a couple of firsts happened last night.

-first time fishing glenmore reservoir

-first time chucking and ducking pike flies

-first pike ever caught

-first time I ever tied my own leaders (40lb maxima to 30lb maxima to 20 pound maxima finished off with 50lb seagur as bite gaurd, online recipe I found)

-first fish caught on my redington delta 9/10 reel (didnt catch a bonefish with it last trip)

-first fish caught with my TFO TiCr 9 wt (same as above comment)

-first pike caught on one of my own hand tied fly. I have dubbed it the: red and black yak and flash.

Not the biggest specimen, but it was still pretty fun. Now I got the fever.

Learned some things.

- I tied a lot of rabbit pike flies. They are uber heavy when wet, I think I prefer casting the yak hair and flash type I tied.

- Double haul is important

- people are dirty, I picked an grocery bag of garbage. Gross.

firstpike.jpg

Good on ya - I have heard stories from the old timers about much bigger in there.

What line are you casting with? Bunny can be heavy but shooting heads help. There have also been some lighter patterns posted in the past.

Guest NamasteMushroom
So I didnt get out to Badger on Sunday because I was sick so I decided to head to Glenmore to try and cast some pike flies that I had tied up. Fully expecting to get skunked as I hear glenmore isnt the best fishery. Mostly wanted to try casting the heavier flies.

So a couple of firsts happened last night.

-first time fishing glenmore reservoir

-first time chucking and ducking pike flies

-first pike ever caught

-first time I ever tied my own leaders (40lb maxima to 30lb maxima to 20 pound maxima finished off with 50lb seagur as bite gaurd, online recipe I found)

-first fish caught on my redington delta 9/10 reel (didnt catch a bonefish with it last trip)

-first fish caught with my TFO TiCr 9 wt (same as above comment)

-first pike caught on one of my own hand tied fly. I have dubbed it the: red and black yak and flash.

Not the biggest specimen, but it was still pretty fun. Now I got the fever.

Learned some things.

- I tied a lot of rabbit pike flies. They are uber heavy when wet, I think I prefer casting the yak hair and flash type I tied.

- Double haul is important

- people are dirty, I picked an grocery bag of garbage. Gross.

firstpike.jpg

Good job; and an excellent post!

Nice catch!

Glenmore is one of the oddest fisheries, you might go fishless for couple of outings and than connect to a monster that will rip the rod out of your hands. Biggest pike i've seen out of there was 32lbs just a few years back. Once i stumbled on a dead one of similar size. Trout can reach up to 15 lbs and maybe more in there, my biggest was close to 9 pounds, brown buck.

If you stalk the shoreline in evenings you can see big trout rising and chasing baitfish in shallows.

nicely done! im waiting for all those firsts! btw how do you like your net? i was thinking of the same one

It's good, little big for hiking, the bag will get caught in everything. I solve it by using a smaller one. Nice for he bow, pontoon, drift boat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...