Fly Fusion Forums

Tenkara!

I have recently discovered and fallen in love with this form, and although I have not actually purchased a rod yet, I know that I will be mixing my regular fly-fishing with Tenkara (and likely spey)....I have even started tying Tenkara kebari.

Is anyone else here into this style? Any suggestions on best places to get a rod and line? I have been looking at tenkarausa.com, but if anyone is familiar with anywhere local-ish, I am interested.

I ordered mine from TenkaraUSA and they apparantly have a Canadian distribution center in Vancouver. That's where mine shipped from and there were no duties or customs fees to deal with. I think that's about as "local" as you gonna get though, I'm not aware of any actual shops that carry Tenkara gear in Canada.

I also ordered my AYU from TenkaraUSA as they didn't have any Canadian distributions a few years ago that I knew of. It is quite fun and different from regular fly fishing and is ideal on small stream and lakes. However, do not be mislead, it can catch bigger fish too.

Sea run brown in Iceland that wife caught on the Tenkara :)

P1000643.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've never really thought fly fishing was hipster.....until now...Tenkara seems pretty hipster to me...do they make capri wading pants now? Tanktops with accessory clips? Felt-soled flip flops? Massive polarized wayfarers... There will be a big rush on to get the old wicker creels with leather straps.

I'm guessing this setup works well for Czech/high stick nymphing?

I've used mine several times this season and really enjoy it. I got the 11' Iwana because it was the smallest and lightest model they had. It is really enjoyable for fishing tiny streams, but it is a bit limiting because of its shorter length. If I had to do it again I would go with the 12' model as it will still work fine on the smaller/tighter streams, but will enable you to get much better and longer drifts on more open water. I often find myself wishing I had that extra foot or so to get better drifts.

I find Tenkara's are a nice tool to have even though I dont really fish traditional Tenkara flies or technigues with mine. I'm usually on tiny headwater cutty streams and just pick the little pockets that I could never get a decent drift through with my 0 or 1 wts. For flies I just use my standard small dries and foam attractors that I would would normally use. I have been using a 10'6 furled thread line with about 4-5 feet of 5X-6X tippet and it seems to work alright. The furled leader is perhaps just a bit too heavy and is probably harder to control during the drift than a fluoro line, so I'm going to start playing around with those. I have a feeling those lighter lines will work a little better with the 11' Iwana.

Tenkara's are definately easy to use and a lot of fun, so RobertB if you access to one, by all means borrow it and give it a whirl. You do not have to use it with the tradional flies and techniques - regular dries work just fine too. They are definately a superior tool for fishing small mountain streams and pocket water that you could not get a drag free drift through with a regular line and leader. I'll never be a Tenkara "hipster" and I'll always have a place for my regular rods, but I liked my little Iwana so much for the fact that it opened up so much new water to me just ordered a 13' Ayu for fishing some trickier current seams on larger streams.

Thanks Doug. Lots of helpful info. I've a friend that likes the Tenkara level lines followed by a 4x-6x fluorocarbon tippet. I'm not sure what the level lines are made of (mono, fluro, etc) but some folks seem to really like these vs. the traditional furled leaders.

I've used mine several times this season and really enjoy it. I got the 11' Iwana because it was the smallest and lightest model they had. It is really enjoyable for fishing tiny streams, but it is a bit limiting because of its shorter length. If I had to do it again I would go with the 12' model as it will still work fine on the smaller/tighter streams, but will enable you to get much better and longer drifts on more open water. I often find myself wishing I had that extra foot or so to get better drifts.

I find Tenkara's are a nice tool to have even though I dont really fish traditional Tenkara flies or technigues with mine. I'm usually on tiny headwater cutty streams and just pick the little pockets that I could never get a decent drift through with my 0 or 1 wts. For flies I just use my standard small dries and foam attractors that I would would normally use. I have been using a 10'6 furled thread line with about 4-5 feet of 5X-6X tippet and it seems to work alright. The furled leader is perhaps just a bit too heavy and is probably harder to control during the drift than a fluoro line, so I'm going to start playing around with those. I have a feeling those lighter lines will work a little better with the 11' Iwana.

Tenkara's are definately easy to use and a lot of fun, so RobertB if you access to one, by all means borrow it and give it a whirl. You do not have to use it with the tradional flies and techniques - regular dries work just fine too. They are definately a superior tool for fishing small mountain streams and pocket water that you could not get a drag free drift through with a regular line and leader. I'll never be a Tenkara "hipster" and I'll always have a place for my regular rods, but I liked my little Iwana so much for the fact that it opened up so much new water to me just ordered a 13' Ayu for fishing some trickier current seams on larger streams.

The 13' Ayu is pretty good for the larger streams, I've used it on the Highwood and Sheep. It's actually a bit annoying on the smaller streams because of the length. I don't understand this "hipster" feeling people get, I guess it's probably the same way spincasters think of the snobbish fly fishers. Tenkara fishing is old school fishing with modern materials, a line attached to the end of a pole, wow how radical and cool! :huh:

Het Slingshotz, I have an Ayu on the way to me right now. Just curious as to what line/leader you like on that rod. Thanks.

I use the traditional 13ft but it's a bit too long for small streams. I've had the Tenkara for a few years now so the alternative Level or High Wind lines didn't exist back then so I've never actually tried them before. I wished I ordered a Level line when I ordered a replacement tip for my Ayu now, they look really interesting to cast.