Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boats And Aircompressors

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on getting an air compressor to fill up a pontoon boat.

On Saturday, I met a guy with an 8' fishcat pontoon, and he was using a proper aircompressor to fill it.

(not those 12v car types which dont have enough pressure)

I should have asked him a few more questions, like how many a gallon tank his air compressor had.

(it looked like a two or three gallon)

I think he said it took 2 mins to fill up the pontoon, and about half hr to charge the compressor beforehand.

Does anyone else use an aircompressor to fill their inflatable rafts/canoes/pontoons etc?

Just want to get an idea of what capacity tank that would require, and what capacity tank could fill a pontoon without needing

to be plugged in.

It's all news to me, because I always assumed that an air compressor would need to be plugged in so that the compressor could

maintain the pressure in the tank.

Maybe i misunderstood how he used it, but it sounded as if he could charge/fill up the tank at home, and it was enough to inflate a

single pontoon boat at the river.

Also, how safe/unsafe is it to drive around with a pressurised air compressor in the back of the car.

I have a matrix wagon.

thanks

SeanD

Hey Sean,

You sure that it wasn't a refillable tank that you fill up at a compressor? I would be very leery about using a normal compressor for fear of over filling and blowing the bladder. I use one of the $90 wonders made specifically for filling inflatables and finish off with a hand pump.

Mike

Hey Sean,

You sure that it wasn't a refillable tank that you fill up at a compressor? I would be very leery about using a normal compressor for fear of over filling and blowing the bladder. I use one of the $90 wonders made specifically for filling inflatables and finish off with a hand pump.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I dont think it was a standalone tank as it had the compressor unit ontop of it.

It was pretty small though.

I'd assume you would only use it to fill the bulk, and finish it off with a hand pump as well.

Otherwise you would likely blow the bladder.

It looked like a good idea and the guy got it on sale from Can tire for $30

Sean

It looked like a good idea and the guy got it on sale from Can tire for $30

Sean

That would be a 3 gallon compressor. that he got for $30.00. He must have put quite a bit of pressure into it to fill the pontoon boat.

You can also get just a tank that you can fill it up at a gas station, 6 or 8 gallon, that would work the same. They are called an "air pig". You can regulate the output pressure on either the compressor or an air pig so that it will only output to a certain air pressure, so you dont blow the bladder. Transprting these is safe when pressurized, just so they aren't bouncing around in the back of your truck or something, treat them the same as transporting a full propane tank.

A little tip for using either of these and your compressors.

If the input on the inflatable (boat) is one of the largere inputs. get a tire stem from a tire shop (the part that they mount in the rim to fill the air into tires), take the little valve out of the center so that you can see through it and put it on the end of your hose on insert into the larger fill valves, makes a great adaptor. Had to fill a bunch of stuff at my work including a pontoon boat. This method saved me hours with a manual pump, I used the large compressor.

Thanks

Greg

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

air pigs are sweet and last forever. But a normal double action pump will fill is quick enough and never have to worry about blowing it up to much.

I have been looking for the same, and am equally confused....

Was in Canadian Tire last night and they have a 2 gallon master craft unit with built in air pressure gauge on sale for $50 regular $100. But it uses a regular plug in. I do have an outlet on the car for such things but I am worried about blowing fuses. Also this thing is a bit big, I would like a compressor not just for pontoons but air mattresses and the occasional tire.

There is also a smaller unit that uses your car lighter plug in that is 1/4 the size that pumps out 25l/min, but it is $50, I know I have seen it on sale before, not sure if it is worth $50, so I may wait for a sale.

Murray had a small compressor when went together earlier this year, maybe he will chime in with what he uses for his pontoon.

Here is the unit I am looking at: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...r.jsp?locale=en

Anyone have any thoughts on if it will work for my purposes?

J

That would be a 3 gallon compressor. that he got for $30.00. He must have put quite a bit of pressure into it to fill the pontoon boat.

You can also get just a tank that you can fill it up at a gas station, 6 or 8 gallon, that would work the same. They are called an "air pig". You can regulate the output pressure on either the compressor or an air pig so that it will only output to a certain air pressure, so you dont blow the bladder. Transprting these is safe when pressurized, just so they aren't bouncing around in the back of your truck or something, treat them the same as transporting a full propane tank.

A little tip for using either of these and your compressors.

If the input on the inflatable (boat) is one of the largere inputs. get a tire stem from a tire shop (the part that they mount in the rim to fill the air into tires), take the little valve out of the center so that you can see through it and put it on the end of your hose on insert into the larger fill valves, makes a great adaptor. Had to fill a bunch of stuff at my work including a pontoon boat. This method saved me hours with a manual pump, I used the large compressor.

Thanks

Greg

Thanks Greg,

You have provided me with some fantastic advice.

Yes the guy said that he has to compress it to 100psi to fill the pontoon.

I didn't even know about the "air pig", so i'll be on the lookout for one of them as well.

Thanks for the tip regarding the tire stem. Sounds like a good idea, although i can't exactly picture what you mean.

Are you talking about modifying the pontoon's boston valve by drilling a hole in the cap and fitting the tire stem?

Or do you fit the tire stem to the hose on the compressor/airpig?

If so, how do you fill a boston valve with this?

I was just going to buy an "Airhead multivalve", but i am interested in your approach with the tire stem.

post-4197-1335286902.jpg

thanks again!

Sean

I use a BRAVO super turbo bst 12 HP. BASICALLY IT OPERATES OFF A 12 volt battery, connects with a couple of alligator clips to the posts of the battery. It has a regulator that you set for your desired pressure. The way it works is at low pressure it pumps at high volume. When it gets up to 6 or 7 psi, it switches over to a second pump, high pressure but low volume. This is the best pump I've seen. Simply rig it up, plug the hose in and turn it on. It will turn off when you reach your predetermined pressure.

I got it at Auto Marine, just off McLeod trail and 50th ave. talk to Brian or Sue.

Murray

And here is the configuration that I used, but because it is a tire stem it will go onto any compressor that will fill a tire. Threaded on is better than a clip on type of attachment but it doesn't matter.

The diameter of the fat end of the tire stem fits inside where the air pump adaptor would normally go just about perfectly, just hold it there while you inflate and pull it out when you are done. I had one that the tire valve was just a touch small to seal when pushed into the valve on the boat so I just wrapped some electrical tape around it and it worked great.

This configuration would work great on an air pig or comressor, 12volt or 120v.

I have an air blower on the hose with a quick coupler as well, but neither is necessary to make this work.

Let me know if this helps.

Greg

post-4051-1335321252.jpg

And here is the configuration that I used, but because it is a tire stem it will go onto any compressor that will fill a tire. Threaded on is better than a clip on type of attachment but it doesn't matter.

The diameter of the fat end of the tire stem fits inside where the air pump adaptor would normally go just about perfectly, just hold it there while you inflate and pull it out when you are done. I had one that the tire valve STEM was just a touch small to seal when pushed into the valve on the boat so I just wrapped some electrical tape around it and it worked great.

This configuration would work great on an air pig or comressor, 12volt or 120v.

I have an air blower on the hose with a quick coupler as well, but neither is necessary to make this work.

Let me know if this helps.

Greg

Fixed sorry

Greg

Thanks Greg and everyone else for providing suggestions on the best way to fill up inflatables.

I will definately be on the lookout for 12v pumps, air compressors and air pigs.

I was reluctant about the 12v units, because i've had a cigarette lighter one before and it was no good.

I suspect from everyone elses comments that the 12V direct to terminal pumps do a decent job.

If anyone sees any of the above discounted, send me a pm.

cheers

Sean