Fly Fusion Forums

Wtb Inflatable Pfd

I see a big store has inflatable PFD's on sale. Want to buy one for wife and me. Any feedback as to personal choices is welcome.

I got one last year and I’ve used it on flat water on several occasions. I really like it. I believe they are not recommended for moving water though, so keep that in mind. It probably has something to do with the air bladder vs foam flotation. I really like how comfortable it is to wear and how cool it is compared to a PFD. What sold me is that your get dry comfort AND if you go in the drink it works like a Life Jacket and flips you face up.

Thx PM Sent

Also.... the inflation cartridges have a replacement date, you can see this through a plastic window on the front. If you can, dig through the pile to get one with a later date.

After my post I went to look at the owner’s manual to double check my comment re: moving water. Thought it doesn’t mention the air bladder (speculation on my part, sorry), it does say this:

“NOT for whitewater paddling or personal watercraft use. PFDs fitted with an automatic inflator are not permitted for sail boarding activities.”

I hope personal water craft means jet skis not pontoons. Common sense would say don’t use it if getting wet and being submerged is a normal part of what you are doing, movement is restricted once it's inflated.

fishinglivin,

If these PDF's do not have a DOT Approval Number silk screened onto the vest, they are illegal for use in Canada.

Both Cabella's and Bass Pro sell products in the US that do not have the DOT #. I've never looked @ their products in Canada. Perhaps they conform to CDN laws.

regards,

Don

Guest Grinr

Common sense would say they are NOT for use in sports where there is a risk of being injured,unconscious,unable to manually deploy inflation,ie;whitewater paddling,PWCs,waterskiing etc.

Edit:sorry,I was commenting on the "rip cord" style,which I don't believe are DOT approved anyhow?Obviously the auto-inflating styles aren't very practical for watersports where being submerged is part of the normal routine.That said,rip cord models are not "illegal" to use for personal comfort or peace of mind,ie; fishing,duck hunting etc.,but you still need to carry a DOT approved PFD for each person "on board"......whether you actually wear it or not is up to you unless you are a minor.

Thx Guys, lots of good info to consider.We would use it on the Bow. My wife swims like a rock, where as I am a strong swimmer, ex lifeguard. But depending on the circumstance, sometimes that does not matter. I have pulled good swimmers from the river before.