Fly Fusion Forums

Its That Time Of Year

Guest Dust1n

Guest Dust1n

Its spring and time to be looking for new gear as the season for kick boats are arriving! Im looking to get a new U boat this season and was wondering what you guys use for alpine lakes and your reveiws on them. I have a Treton belly boat and its not that sturdy in the wind and was looking at getting a new one.

So far I have my eyes set on the Fishcat4 - $199. What do you guys think?

Guest Dust1n

Is it fully collapsible? Because it will be needed to fit into a backpack for a over 10kms

the fishcats are deadly some kid was crusing in super shallow with them and hammering the big bows with no wake at amber

Quote: Is it fully collapsible? Because it will be needed to fit into a backpack for a over 10kms

the fishcats are deadly some kid was crusing in super shallow with them and hammering the big bows with no wake at amber

No, I'm saying that the one your looking at might be heavy because my fishcat pontoon boat is heavier than a lot of other brands of pontoon boats. It might just be that my steel frame is thicker or it might be the material I don't know. If its the material than there is probably a lighter brand out there for your hiking boat.

Great boats.Had one for years and love it.

I do recommend picking up a couple extra screw in valves though ($5). I have had a few fail/leak slowly. More than likely do to me putting to much air pressure in..

Have fun

James

Fish cat 4 with the foam seat is the best fishing tool I have. Not too bad to hike in for a day trip with shoulder straps.

I did have a seam leak in the bladder but Outcast replaced the bladder with a better version for free. Great service.

Both my friends have not used their pontoon boats since getting a Fish Cat 4...easier/quicker to set up and get fishing.

Get a wet bag to sit in the space behind the seat and small anchor and you are set.

i just bought some rope and a couple beaners and a 5 pound down rigger ball at wholesale and it works excellent for an anchor..

i bought the back pack straps but have yet to use them.

love my fish cat 4, hope to hike it up to rawson lake this year.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

great boat but not a backback boat! i haul mine around with a stretch of roap and a few beeners to snug it up to the backpack but if i could do it over i would buy a lighter one so i can go on longer 18+ K trips. Rawson is about as far as i would ever want to take a heavy FC.

I tie a loose rope off D-rings on the side that loops around behind the seat. I can then tie my 5/16" anchor rope to this rope. I use an 8lb rubberized dumb bell weight for my anchor (anchor rope wraps around weight). You can slide the knot along this rope to position yourself in the wind if need be. I use a wet bag about the size of a sleeping bag to bring along any extra clothes/food/gear for the day. Slide your net in beside the wet bag. Scuba fins provide for great mobility.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

you guys haul anchors around!?!?! that is reDICK. I take the rope and tie it to a large rock that i find ON SITE and have never had a problem.

Guest Dust1n
Please wear a lifejacket also! Anyone ever lean to far forward in their Fish/Fat Cat?

Why would you even wonder about that idea <--poke--<

Anyways im curious if anyone has now that it has been brought up.

Guest JBear

COMMANDER OSG. Thats probably out of your price range, but would be killer for hike ins.

I have the super fat cat, with backpack straps. (13lbs really isnt that bad, packing it is a pain though but if you're really good with packing, you could probably fit one into a hiking pack, but it would be a squeeze) If i could do it again, i'd get the trinity for sure. Super light boat, easy to pack so i've heard.

Although, if not for backpacking, the prowler would be on the top of my list. Very comfortable little thing, nice pockets and enough space to throw a anchor strap/mount on the back.

My dad does have the fishcat 4, he hates it... but he has some weird opinions on things, he says he cant turn directions in it, which doesn't make any sense to me, because its really not that complicated.

Guest Dust1n

Its not for potholes you can walk on, I got a pontoon for that. Has anyone installed a rod holder for the fishcat 4 yet? Seems like a good idea with the limited room you acquire with it.