Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing Fly Line

Guest FoamStoner

Guest JBear

Wondering what people's experiences are for the best line to chuck nymphs on. I'm split between the SA MT nymph taper and the rio indicator.

I've searched a bit and havnt been able to find much info on either, or at least anyone's experiences.

Appreciate your input!

J

I use the SA Textured nymph indicator line, Orange/tan.. great for nymph rigs and streamers... Casts just great in the wind while loaded up with a three nymph rig!!!!!!!!!

I have the same line. I've only used it twice now, but absolutely love it. Been casting mostly 3 heavy nymphs, and have had zero tangles. Roll casts really nice, and will bomb casts out as well.

300grain Airflo Sagit (on a single hand 6wt 9foot 6)

Learn some simple single hand spey casts and watch out

Allows you to turn over big heavy nymphs rigs, excellent for out of the boat, when you want to punch through the wind with little effort no problem.

Large arbour reel is nice to have (I have been using a bauer mxp and a Hardy Angel) and for the shooting line, I just choped it in half, as I see it 30+ feet with head and leader, 20 feet of shooting line, then my backing..............

• 2 months later...

I have a Scientific Anglers WF floating line. I have been using it for almost a year now. The end of the line has cracked about 2" from the loop at the end, and of course allows water inside so that it does not float properly any longer. Will have to get new line soon. To my dismay I did not keep the receipt so I can not send for warranty. I don't recommend this line.

On my other rod that I use less frequently I have courtland classic 444. It has been on the rod for about 7 years. Still works like the day I put it on. There was a while that it was the only rod I used so it has seen a lot of water. I can definitely recommend that line.

Greg

I have just started running the SA MT Nymph line, and I gotta say I really like it. I also like the Sharkskin lines, but they are a love it or hate it thing. SA lines are somewhat hard to come by in Calgary since there have been problems getting an consistent rep. I never did find one so I ended up getting a free one when I ordered my latest Hardy Reel.

I've not used the Rio line, but there are lots of people that swear by them and use them.

I have always been a fan of the Cortland 444 and they are all I run on my fiberglass rods. Probably one of the best all time lines out there. I remember having that line as a kid on my first rod 20+ years ago.

Glad you like the Rio line.

Guest JBear

Since buying the rio indicator, I am in love with it. Casts big nymphing rigs with ease, mending is the super easy, and best of all, doubles as a great chironomid line, which i do a ton of. I used to have issues casting 16'+ leaders, but now i can easily chuck 20-25 footers.

Love this line!

Guest Grinr
I have a Scientific Anglers WF floating line. I have been using it for almost a year now. The end of the line has cracked about 2" from the loop at the end, and of course allows water inside so that it does not float properly any longer. Will have to get new line soon. To my dismay I did not keep the receipt so I can not send for warranty. I don't recommend this line.

Greg

R u serious?? :wacko:

Ummmmm....cut off 3" and tie a nail knot.

I will be doing that. however for the purpose of recommending a line to someone I don't think that it should be cracking like that so soon into the life of the line. Especially when other lines like Airflo have a 5 year warranty against cracks and my experience with the courtland has been much different. I have only retied the nail knot on the end of it once since I have owned the line and that was because the loop was looking a little frayed.

I would have expected at least 2 seasons with the SA for the price that I paid for it before I had to start cutting it back.

I stand by my statement that I don't recommend the line.

Thanks

Greg

My Cortland had that problem too. No biggy. Put some UV knot sense on there to stop water wicking into the core & you're off to the races.

Depending on where you bought it they might be able to help you out.

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (Grinr @ Jun 13 2012, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
R u serious?? wacko.gif

I will be doing that. however for the purpose of recommending a line to someone I don't think that it should be cracking like that so soon into the life of the line. Especially when other lines like Airflo have a 5 year warranty against cracks and my experience with the courtland has been much different. I have only retied the nail knot on the end of it once since I have owned the line and that was because the loop was looking a little frayed.

I would have expected at least 2 seasons with the SA for the price that I paid for it before I had to start cutting it back.

I stand by my statement that I don't recommend the line.

Thanks

Greg

Try emailing SA. The exact same thing happened to me in not a lot of use with my SA mastery gpx line. I emailed them, they said send the line back and we'll send you a brand new one! The new line faired well this last season and didn't see the same premature wearing that the old line had.