Fly Fusion Forums

Acetone

Guest FoamStoner

Im tying some acetone anchor worms for the first time, and am having no luck whatsoever trying to find it in nail polish remover nowadays. Anyone got any sources? I am in edmonton.

Thanks

Neat. I'm tying the exact same fly myself. Going to try and finish 3 dozen at the ski hill tomorrow.

Anyhoo, I picked up some acetone at Wal-Mart the other day. $10 for a canister that should last the rest of my natural life. Found it in Hardware in the paint section.

Smitty

Sean84,

]

Acetate Floss [typical fly tying floss] will dissolve in Acetone. This will allow you to make realistic imitations of maggots by the use of white floss.

The process is to dunk the completed fly into acetone till the floss just starts to melt. Remove and shake dry.

Acetone is also used as a solvent for some kinds of cement although toluene works better. Toluene is commonly called lacquer thinner and is a member of the BETX series of aromatic hydrocarbons that have linked to cancer. Toluene is the lesser risk than benezene which composes <>2% of the gasoline @ your local service station.

The message here - something is out to get ya'.

regards,

Don

Sean84,

]

Acetate Floss [typical fly tying floss] will dissolve in Acetone. This will allow you to make realistic imitations of maggots by the use of white floss.

The process is to dunk the completed fly into acetone till the floss just starts to melt. Remove and shake dry.

Acetone is also used as a solvent for some kinds of cement although toluene works better. Toluene is commonly called lacquer thinner and is a member of the BETX series of aromatic hydrocarbons that have linked to cancer. Toluene is the lesser risk than benezene which composes <>2% of the gasoline @ your local service station.

The message here - something is out to get ya'.

regards,

Don

Oh interesting, i never realized that, its there other flies that use this concept. Also If you tie down some chenille then wrap with floss would that work or would it degrade the floss to much to hold the chenille or break it down as well?

OK, a couple of questions on this...

Does rayon or nylon = acetate?

You long do you 'dip' the worm?

Never mind, answered my own questions:

1. No

2. You don't...a light brush is plenty....an actual dip would pretty much completely dissolve all the floss.