Fly Fusion Forums

How To Catch The Fish In The Winter?

mattpreat

yesterday i was out fishing the north raven river for the first time and there was tons of small trout there, and i mean tons! i would think the fishing would be great with all those fish crowding around in a pool but i just couldnt catch them. i tried using alot of nymphs and a Griffiths Gnat since they were so small and i just couldnt catch a damn thing. i dead-drifted the flys since thats the best technique i know, and they just wouldnt bite. the water was slow and its a very small river to so i had to use a strike indicator to keep my nymphs off the bottum. im new to fly fishing and this forum, so if anyone could help me out here a bit since what helps me now im sure will help me in the summer to!

First off: did you try changing your tippet size at all, when you are fishing flat waters with lots of fish that have seen leaders and flies all summer they may have been leader shy considering this is a small stream that sees quite a few anglers. Second the strike indicator does not keep your flies off bottom it is only meant to tell you when a fish takes your fly not suspend them in the water collum like a float, as they are supposed to drift naturally tumbling with the current. If the nymph's you are fishing are getting caught on the bottom, consider not using split shot (if you were) and bead headed ones with extra weight or multiple fly rigs. Also downsizing you flies in winter is not a bad idea either. Other than that if you were getting drag free floats which is crucial, you may have been causing too much of a wake with your presentation or wading or putting the leader on top of the trout, instead off to the side. All things considered if this is your first time fly fishing it isn't uncommon to go home empty handed, especially on a stream like the North Raven. It could also have been an off day activity wise for the trout, did you see any actively feeding or rising?

Try and tag along with a more experienced angler form the board or a mentor who can teach you.

Cheers, and dont get discouraged it takes practice and patience to get better at fly-fishing.

i never did try and change my leader size, as i dont use a tippet since i prefer to just tie on fluorocarbon line, dont know what diffrence it makes but it works good for me. at the time i was using a 9 foot leader so they cant see my fly line. next time i go i will try that and i wont use a strike indicator at all as i did notice it scared a couple fish away. i wasnt using a split shot because my flys had a bead head so they sunk pretty good on there own. ive been using size 14 flys now, dont know if thats a good size or not but it seems pretty small so i think its good. this is actualy only my second time going fly fishing on a stream so i geuss i still need alot of practice to get things right. and it could also have been a off day for the trout since none were rising and they were using just hiding. going to try again friday if its nice and see if i have any luck then. if i dont get anything friday i will probably try and find somebody who can teach me since itd probably help me a whole lot. thanks for the replies!

#20 midge pupae and bloodworms would probably see more results. #14 is actually a quite large fly as far as winter nymphing is concerned.

I tend to disagree with the poster above who said you can't use the indicator as a float. I do it all the time and do very, very well. Set your depth with the float... maybe the fish are not hugging bottom but if they are add just enough split so that the flies rub the bottom every so often. Are you setting the hook when you see movement on the indicator? Fish do not take very hard in the winter, in fact, most clients I have ever guided can hardly believe how soft the takes are and what I ask them to set the hook on but once they catch on they start catching fish.

good luck :)

#20 midge pupae and bloodworms would probably see more results. #14 is actually a quite large fly as far as winter nymphing is concerned.

I tend to disagree with the poster above who said you can't use the indicator as a float. I do it all the time and do very, very well. Set your depth with the float... maybe the fish are not hugging bottom but if they are add just enough split so that the flies rub the bottom every so often. Are you setting the hook when you see movement on the indicator? Fish do not take very hard in the winter, in fact, most clients I have ever guided can hardly believe how soft the takes are and what I ask them to set the hook on but once they catch on they start catching fish.

good luck :)

I also go small in the winter. #18 and #16 generally, however been fishing #20 successfully recently....I'm a believer in light tippet in clear slow water. Common for me to use 6x fluro especially on a small stream

I also go small in the winter. #18 and #16 generally, however been fishing #20 successfully recently....I'm a believer in light tippet in clear slow water. Common for me to use 6x fluro especially on a small stream

Is #14 large for the Bow this time of year? Or would you be using a #20 on the Bow as well? Thanks!

Is #14 large for the Bow this time of year? Or would you be using a #20 on the Bow as well? Thanks!

I've been fishing the Bow with 20s lately however im playing with a new pattern. I do however regularly use 18 for nymphs 16 for SJW on the Bow in winter. I figure fish are so lethargic in the winter they don't run and hit a larger fly with enough momentum to hook up. Small flies can be inhaled by a fish that isn't moving and has a shot a hooking up. I don't know if this is true or not however it's a theory that im sticking too since small flies definetely work for me in the winter over larger flies.

are u sure size 20 is ok?? my size 18 Griffiths Gnats seem already pretty small and i dont even think i could manage to tie a nymph on a size 20 hook! for the movement on my indicator, i see none at all. im going to try and get smaller nymphs and try and be more sneaky since me seeing them and them seeing me could have alot to do with the problem. hopefully i can get those small hooks by friday so i can try and catch a fish or two. you guys got any tips on how to find such small of hooks? when i look for flies i never see any really small nymphs but im just looking in small stores that have fly fishing gear but im gonna look before i go out. thanks for the help guys!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

most shops will be able to help you. I know this might be contrary to what these guys have been saying but have you tried a larger stone fly? For smaller bugs YES i think smaller is better but if a fish notices a larger chunk of protein coming down stream they some times put out the extra bit to get it. This is (in my mind)a constant battle of physics for them of energy consumption vs. energy gain. its worth a few cast in my opinion.

good luck.

next time i go ill try out a size 12 or 10 stimulator since thats usualy what works in the summer for me at other creeks. makes sence why it would work and like you say its definately worth a few casts. so far i think i might have much better luck at the north raven on friday with all these tips then the first time i went there!

are u sure size 20 is ok?? my size 18 Griffiths Gnats seem already pretty small and i dont even think i could manage to tie a nymph on a size 20 hook! for the movement on my indicator, i see none at all. im going to try and get smaller nymphs and try and be more sneaky since me seeing them and them seeing me could have alot to do with the problem. hopefully i can get those small hooks by friday so i can try and catch a fish or two. you guys got any tips on how to find such small of hooks? when i look for flies i never see any really small nymphs but im just looking in small stores that have fly fishing gear but im gonna look before i go out. thanks for the help guys!

I'm not saying you need a 20 hook. However 16 and 18 are standard for me. I know a first they seem tiny but give it a shot and see if it works. I also agree with an earlier comment fish can be very spooky in low clear water.

Am with don on this one, Stauffers about been stealthy,getting into position and getting a good drift without spooking or lining the fish is key. Also use about 14 or 15 feet of leader and no indicator. Use the end of your fly line or even your leader as your indicator. Myself small on Stauffer is size 22 to 24. Don't use weighted flies use micro splitshot, maintain contact with your flies through out your drift and you should be golden.

damn guys you got me excited there about being able to use a hook i know how to use and catch fish with! i got a feeling though that once i get the smaller hooks i might actualy catch fish. also ive started tying some 16 san juan worms on the size 16 dry fly hooks that have been sitting around and they look pretty good and they might actualy work to. next time i go itll pretty much just be experimenting with hooks till i catch a fish. ill also read the book i got on fly fishing in alberta again, that should help me out a whole lot to.

You can also use mini foam indicators like the ones shown here. Won't spook fish in low clear water. This shows how they can be used for dry flies...work for nymphs too.

Would tend to agree with Don ... if you saw a bunch o' fish they coulda seen you and whereas they won't leave the pool they will not feed.

Clive

might have to try that strike indicator since it sounds pretty good. also if anyone wants can you please give me a good list of small nymphs i should use on the north raven? im going to be making an order at ickyflyworks.ca so i want to make sure i get the right ones that have a good chance of working.so far i think ill be getting the smallest side of bead head and normal hairs ear and a beadhead and normal pheasent tail and thats all i got so far since i know those two work. gonna keep looking but if anyone could give me some pointers itd be great!

might have to try that strike indicator since it sounds pretty good. also if anyone wants can you please give me a good list of small nymphs i should use on the north raven? im going to be making an order at ickyflyworks.ca so i want to make sure i get the right ones that have a good chance of working.so far i think ill be getting the smallest side of bead head and normal hairs ear and a beadhead and normal pheasent tail and thats all i got so far since i know those two work. gonna keep looking but if anyone could give me some pointers itd be great!

some green caddis nymphs should be on that list.

dead drifted leeches sans indicator can also produce on stauffer at this time of year

Just wondering why you guys are suggesting unweighted nymphs and splitshot instead of beadhead?

Stauffers a pretty small creek and you can control your drift and the speed at which it sinks a lot better. On bigger rivers with more depth and current sure weight up as much as needed.