Fly Fusion Forums

A Warm Welcome To Our New Uk Members

Flytyer

Dennis,

we are from wild natural stock and not C&R stockies! :P

That term you used that I have highlighted in bold red, youngster? Harrumph! :lol:

BTW Folks, this guy is sh*t hot at tying flies of any description and is our forum's Step By Step Meister.

how young is young? ;) i'm a sucker for brogue... **sigh**

welcome scotfly, glad to see you escaped as well

how young is young? ;) i'm a sucker for brogue... **sigh**

Really, really young ( in a mature way) and very brogue. B)

I'd offer to take you out one evening to let you see, but Mrs scotfly would kill me! :( So I'm afraid you'll just have to think about what might have been.. Try not to get too depressed. :D

You have almost hit the nail on the head with that description, when we Scots get into full drinking mode, we can only be understood by each other!

As a matter of fact, I cannot understand the folks from the North East either! A different language is spoken up there and around the Macduff and Banff areas, well to me it sounds a different language! :lol:

I'm originally from the Glasgow area (Bothwell). If there is a good bottle of Scotch involved, I'd be more than willing to translate. :):):)

Really, really young ( in a mature way) and very brogue. B)

I'd offer to take you out one evening to let you see, but Mrs scotfly would kill me! :( So I'm afraid you'll just have to think about what might have been.. Try not to get too depressed. :D

damn, foiled again. i will try not to get too depressed ;) lol. would she mind if i just listened to you talk.. and highlander can translate, then i get to listen to both of you. **sigh** :D

i'm going to a scotch tasting on tuesday, anything i should keep my eyes open for? i'm one of those, like one kind and stick with it kind of person, want to broaden my horizons.

hello highlander... nice to see you over on this side. welcome to the dark side

i'm going to a scotch tasting on tuesday, anything i should keep my eyes open for? i'm one of those, like one kind and stick with it kind of person, want to broaden my horizons.

Glenmorangie or Glenlivet are my favourite Scottish whiskies. Mellow and oh so smooooooooth. B)

http://www.glenmorangie.com/

http://www.glenlivet.com/

Though my drink of choice is Southern Comfort. :D

OK - let's help you out with some facts straight from the very beginning.

It is not scotch, it is Scotch Whisky and we prefer it called and spelt that way. It is our national heritage beverage, despite what a few might say and there are more Single Malts that any man or woman can get through in a month of 24 hour drinking. Flavours vary from the very gentle Lowland Whiskies to the almost harsh smoky peat flavoured whiskies of the western isles with every nuance in flavour between.

It is sacrilege to pour water, coke, tonic, lemonade into any Single Malt Whisky or add a truckload of ice to your glass, you may either add more whisky or to release the full body of some whiskies, a few drops of natural Scottish burn water. Any person who puts coke into a Single Malt should be gralloched in front of everybody in the bar for this behaviour.

Single Malt Whisky is appreciate by age, the older it is, the smoother and more palate pleasing it is. Best aged in old sherry casks made of oak before being decanted to bottles. Once whisky is in a bottle then any change in it's character is halted, only the cask can improve this.

Malt Whisky should be served in straight, short open tumblers that allow the participant to inhale those heavenly fumes as it is warmed by their hand on the glass. Many are put off enjoying our national drink by being introduced to the wrong type of whisky to start with, it is an acquired taste and I would not expect someone to enjoy an 18 year old Islay Laphroaig as their first lesson in appreciation of uisge beatha, the water of life.

My great uncle on my grandmother's side was one of the coopers in Bowmore Distillery on the island of Islay and when I was there as a child, he gave my mother a real roasting for her way of drinking whisky - ashamedly, she used to drink it with coke!

On a tasting, take it easy. Do not try to enjoy too many in one night as your taste buds will get confused and not be able to distinguish the subtleties that each whisky has. If you find that one particular whisky attracts you more than another, then stick with that one for the rest of the night or be prepared to have the mother of all hangovers if you persist in sampling more!

For beginning, Glenkinchie - very smooth subtle tasting Single Malt Whisky from the Scottish Borders, Eradour - produced by Scotland's smallest distillery, a very smooth, easily drunk malt., going up the scale and you come to the Spey Whiskies, distinct in flavour and only distilled in the Spey Valley. The range is incredible from the smoothest to the the smokiest. Whiskies from the Islands vary considerably from the inner Hebridies to the Orkneys and here you will find the peatiest tasting of all Scottish Single Malt Whiskies.

Word of advice - NEVER drink Laphroaig with Tweed Ghillie, you might not survive the night, I know I didn't!

Enjoy Tuesday! Slàin·te mhath

oh, thank you so much for the information.

i have seen and nearly throttled the bloke who drank his 18yr glenfidich (sp? sorry) with coke. and then the sod had the second as a shot. as the rest of us sat in awe, wonder and disgust. :blink:

i drink scotch usually straight or with 1 ice cube - but never mixed or seariously watered down. i will not drink anything under 15 years and even 15 is a bit touch and go for me.

i perfer single malts to blended. i have had one from the isle of islay but dont remember the name

i call it just scotch because if i say whiskey - everyone thinks Rye or worse bourbon. i do however enjoy rye but it has to be good rye, otherwise, in goes the coke and a lime wedge

i have had the glenlivet before and did enjoy it emensley. it think it was an 18yr. i also enjoyed the glenfidich 18yr.

i am looking forward to tomorrow night, not so much on the wednesday morning though

Just wanted to add a welcome to the FFC forum ; your input is much appreciated.

BTW, what does your name mean-"Alabamachachigulagarchipelago"? ( I may have spelled it incorrectly... ?)

Oh, don't let Rickr bother you with his shenanigans; as soon as the DNA tests come back, we're having him

deported. It may be OK to marry your aunt in Redneckland , but here in Canada- not so much! :angry:

On behalf of the Moral Majority,

Rev. Bob Loblaw

Just wanted to add a welcome to the FFC forum ; your input is much appreciated.

BTW, what does your name mean-"Alabamachachigulagarchipelago"? ( I may have spelled it incorrectly... ?)

Oh, don't let Rickr bother you with his shenanigans; as soon as the DNA tests come back, we're having him

deported. It may be OK to marry your aunt in Redneckland , but here in Canada- not so much! :angry:

On behalf of the Moral Majority,

Rev. Bob Loblaw

LMFTO! - I will PM a decode for that if you cannot work it out!

Albannach Cuileag, to get it right as the system does not like spaces, means Scottish Fly - simple when you know how!

lol. AL. i've been slaving away at my flies for the UK swap. ;)

actually, i am house sitting and have been out every night and not near a computer.

ok, previous to going to the whisky tasting, i had tried a few different whiskies and found that prior to the tasting my favourite was glenfidich 18yr ancient reserve. the 15 was decent and wont touch the 12 yr.

so after the tasting of which we had 6 different kinds ranging from 8 - 18 years, i decided my favourite was Glenfarclas 17yr, next was an 18yr bowmore? i have to check my sheet.

the 8, 10, 11 and 2 - 12 yr were very, umm... harsh. the 8yr still tasted like straight alcohol.

the 12yr from isle of islay was a little too smokey, kind of tasted like licking the ashes of a campfire with some moss and dirt thrown in for good messure. no bad but still could have used a little more time.

the bowmore - also coastal/island scotch was smokey but the smoke was more subtle and the other flavours came through much better. for me, i will stick with speyside whiskies. i can appreciate the flavours without being over run by 1 strong flavour whether that be smoke or alcohol.

i think i need that subtly.

and i was functional the next morning. anyone up for a scotch and cigar night???

LMFTO! - I will PM a decode for that if you cannot work it out!

Albannach Cuileag, to get it right as the system does not like spaces, means Scottish Fly - simple when you know how!

Thanks for the decode, Albanyknickknackpaddywackkickbackkoolaid ; I was thinking LMFTO meant Laugh My Fancy Tam Off :P .

Glad you cleared it up for me.

Later!

-Bob Loblaw-

Ladystrange - FOMCLMFAO!

Try this one -

Bowmore 1955 / 40 Year old

Single Islay Malt Scotch Whisky

Bottled in a beautiful crystal decanter, this gorgeous fruity Bowmore has been declared by more than one of our customers to be the best that they have ever tasted. After such a long period of ageing, the malt has taken on a very elegant character and shows restrained peat combined with ethereal layers of exotic fruit. A serious, subtle malt that demands the drinker's time and full attention.

£4,700.00 inc. VAT (£4,000.00 ex. VAT) = 9,504.63 Canadian Dollar

sounds like a great scotch... **sigh** i have 2 cuban cigars here too. **cry**

anyone have $9500CAD i could borrow? i think i can come up with the $4.63 because i haven't spent it on fly tying material yet. oh wait, i bought olive grizzly marabou yesterday. never mind

could you decode the first part of - FOMCLMFAO, for me please? i got the laughing my F*&^^ ing a** off part but clueless on the first. and you might as well decode the other one for me while ur at it.

sounds like a great scotch... **sigh** i have 2 cuban cigars here too. **cry**

anyone have $9500CAD i could borrow? i think i can come up with the $4.63 because i haven't spent it on fly tying material yet. oh wait, i bought olive grizzly marabou yesterday. never mind

could you decode the first part of - FOMCLMFAO, for me please? i got the laughing my F*&^^ ing a** off part but clueless on the first. and you might as well decode the other one for me while ur at it.

Ladystrange,

You forgot shipping. I'll cover it for ya if I get a sip. A small one.

FOMCLMFAO = Falling off my couch laughing my efffin ass off?

Ladystrange,

You forgot shipping. I'll cover it for ya if I get a sip. A small one.

FOMCLMFAO = Falling off my couch laughing my efffin ass off?

you're in canada - use chesterfield not couch. apparently it's 'chair'

don't you think your wife would mind? but i would gladly share including the cuban cigars.

shipping and insurance... damn. that is far too depressing, i'm going back to my fly tying.

It is sacrilege to pour water, coke, tonic, lemonade into any Single Malt Whisky or add a truckload of ice to your glass.... Any person who puts coke into a Single Malt should be gralloched in front of everybody in the bar for this behaviour.

I feel the same way about people who put lemon wedges into their beer, eh?

Corona needs lime to kill the skunkyness that comes from older beer in clear bottles, UV light and the breakdown of the hops. Corona in Mexico ain't bad when it's fresh an' don' need no stinkin' lime.

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/272

old beer, yumm, that's appetizing. why don't i drink beer again? next time i am in mexico - january - i will ask for fresh beer and see how it goes.