Fly Fusion Forums

A Neat Tool

Flytyer

I went to Wholesale's new location last night and came across this gizmo:

roots-dubbing-machine.jpg

It was the only one they had and they aren't made any more but I tried it out and it works pretty good. I going to try and make a dubbing brush using deer hair with this and see how it works . A deer hair dubbing brush would be ideal for for tying cased caddis patterns.

• Like 1

This machine will add dubbing to thread, and wire. It has the capability to dub very loose or very tight. I'm still experimenting with it but i also have what is called a turbo dubbing block which is a manual version of this item but with a much shorter table length that i received from a friend in the UK..

A dubbing brush is a basically a predubbed length of wire or thread used for tying fly bodies mostly but i have actually made hair hackles with the manual version. Here's what the turbo dubbing block looks like and how it's used:

http://www.czechnymphs.co.uk/spinningblock.htm

I went to Wholesale's new location last night and came across this gizmo:

roots-dubbing-machine.jpg

It was the only one they had and they aren't made any more but I tried it out and it works pretty good. I going to try and make a dubbing brush using deer hair with this and see how it works . A deer hair dubbing brush would be ideal for for tying cased caddis patterns.

Wow I like it, Been meaning to buy or make one.

Wow I like it, Been meaning to buy or make one.

I just happened to luck into this one. It was in an open box and research revealed there were things missing but I can't complain for the price I got it for. I want to tweak it for performance , it sticks a bit at slow speeds. They are no longer made unfortunately.

Jan Siman makes a great dubbing block as well, and you can get them through any of the Calgary shops. They may have to special order it for you though. It's distributed through Superfly in Canada. They were on demo at the Calgary FFE 2 years ago. There are lots of things you can do with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse my ignorance, but. Has anyone tryed using a deer hair dubbing brush, trimmed on one side?, instead of spinning hair. Would this even work, would it be dense enough? I don't mined spinning, its the trimming I hate. Currently tying bombers.............its painful.

I don't think it would be dense enough. You would be better off learning to spinn. The deer hair brushes would however be good on say a caddis imitation.

Another note on this tool. In the newest issue of Fly tyer, there is an article in there which shows you how to build your own version of this tool. If you have some wood working tools, it would be a snap.