Fly Fusion Forums

Best Vise

Toirtis

OK, I am in some serious need of a new, better vise. I am interested as to your thoughts on best ones to consider, and ones to avoid. I am on a budget, so although the Petitjean and LAW vises are perhaps fabulous, they are well out of the range I have to spend.

Three that I have been giving some serious consideration to are the Peak, the Montana Blackfoot Mongoose, and the Montana Mongoose.

I used the Apex Peak when I first started and really like it, recently I got a Dyna-King Traveller vise which I also really like. I usally tie about a couple of thousand flies a year and both these vises worked awsome for me. Check out the vises at Fish Tales.

Then you'll be relieved to know that the LAW vise is no longer made. Lots of good vices our there, and not all vices fit all people, try before you buy. There are a couple of vices for sale on the site here that are a good deal.

OK, I am in some serious need of a new, better vise. I am interested as to your thoughts on best ones to consider, and ones to avoid. I am on a budget, so although the Petitjean and LAW vises are perhaps fabulous, they are well out of the range I have to spend.

Three that I have been giving some serious consideration to are the Peak, the Montana Blackfoot Mongoose, and the Montana Mongoose.

Then you'll be relieved to know that the LAW vise is no longer made. Lots of good vices our there, and not all vices fit all people, try before you buy. There are a couple of vices for sale on the site here that are a good deal.

Yes, I know...although I can get my hands on a lightly used LAW, it would still be a good $450 more than I want to spend. I could stretch to about $375 if something turns out to be amazing, but I would like to keep it below $300.

When I was looking I checked out both a Dyna King Junior Trekker and Renzetti traveller and a norvise. In the end I went with a Norvise. I had been eyeing up the norvise at fishtales but after seeing Norm at the Fly Fishing Show, I was sold. I am really happy with my decision. It didn't take me long to get use to it, and I love it. I viewed it as something I would have for life. I tie everything using the standard inline jaws. The midge jaws may be nice, however I currently don't feel the need to go out and buy the conversion kit. I also love the automatic bobbin:)

Guest tallieho

You know say all that you want.I have renzetti & nor-vise but when i really want,a dependable no Frills vise.My old thompson A vise,is my go to more times than ever.Packs easily,attaches to almost anything.Ties little/big best bang for my buck & have used this vise for going on 35 yrs..

Grab the Law for that, resell it and get something nice in a vice for the profit.

Yes, I know...although I can get my hands on a lightly used LAW, it would still be a good $450 more than I want to spend. I could stretch to about $375 if something turns out to be amazing, but I would like to keep it below $300.

Sorry, I misread your original statement, I thought you could get a Law for $450 not that much more than you wanted to spend. Saw one go ion ebay for $1,350 a couple of months ago. Nor-Vise isn't for everyone, it seems you either lover it or hate it. Are you looking to pick up a full rotary? Or a stationary vice?

I don't know...I would be looking at $900 before shipping, and I am not sure that I could resell it quickly for over $1000.

Sorry, I misread your original statement, I thought you could get a Law for $450 not that much more than you wanted to spend. Saw one go ion ebay for $1,350 a couple of months ago. Nor-Vise isn't for everyone, it seems you either lover it or hate it. Are you looking to pick up a full rotary? Or a stationary vice?

Full rotary, and although it is considerably more than my original budget, I am now completely in love with, and am going to save for, a J-Vise.

You know say all that you want.I have renzetti & nor-vise but when i really want,a dependable no Frills vise.My old thompson A vise,is my go to more times than ever.Packs easily,attaches to almost anything.Ties little/big best bang for my buck & have used this vise for going on 35 yrs..

I agree with tallieho.

In 1968 I started to fly fish.

In 1969 I bought my 1st fly tying vise – Thompson “A” vise. Now 42 years old.

In 1970 I bought my 2nd fly tying vise – Veniard which is a crude form of a rotary vise.

In 2003 (early spring) I bought my 3rd fly tying vise – Renzetti Traveller. I wanted a pedestal.

In 2003 a lady friend and I sat down to tie some flies. She never had tied any flies and I never tied any on the Renzetti.

She used the Thompson A and I used the Renzetti. She tied 6 flies and I tied 6 flies.

It is now November 16, 2011. To be honest, I have not tied too many flies on the Renzetti since 2003. To be really honest and a bit more precise, the answer is “ZERO.” Since I do not need a rotary vise, the Thompson does everything.

But the Renzetti Traveler is a very good vise.

marchbrownn