Fly Fusion Forums

Bearing Buddies Or Not

Hi FFC folks, recently a deer hit my truck and boat trailer. Lots of damage and bent the axle on the trailer. Standens replaced the axle. The old ones had bearing buddies on it and the new one does not. I am thinking of putting them on the new axle. Standens said not to, suggesting it does not really get the grease to the bearings, that you should regrease when you repack the hub bearings. What do you folks think. Still lean toward adding them.

I have bearing buddies on my aluminum boat's trailer, but not on my skiff's trailer. I am always redoing the bearings on the skiff, never redoing them on the other boat. If you do a quick search on Google you will be hard pressed to find a bad review of the buddies. I don't know how the grease can't get into the bearings when you are pumping into a closed system, but I would suggest you don't use them as well if I was in the business of redoing bearings.

Hi FFC folks, recently a deer hit my truck and boat trailer. Lots of damage and bent the axle on the trailer. Standens replaced the axle. The old ones had bearing buddies on it and the new one does not. I am thinking of putting them on the new axle. Standens said not to, suggesting it does not really get the grease to the bearings, that you should regrease when you repack the hub bearings. What do you folks think. Still lean toward adding them.

Funny, have had a few axle dealings with standons & yes they don't reccomend the buddies, I had a blown apart bearing this spring on my boat trailer that had some newer bearings and grease n them. No buddies installed. Definitly our trailers in and out of the water need to be checked min 1-2 times a year. The one blown had brown water damaged grease and the other looked new & blue. Is it not a drag to check your bearings with the buddies installed ?

The axel you purchased from Standens should be a EZE lube axel. (Eze lube axels have a hole drilled into the center of the axel with a vetical hole drilled in the middle of where the inner and outer bearings sit)

Is there a black rubber plug at the end of the axel? Pull it off and there will be a grease nipple.

I have used eze lube axels for a couple of years and I have yet to find moisture in the bearings.

Jusfloatin, you were right, new axle comes with grease nipples, glad to see it. It is just like a bearing buddy. Happy camper, or should I say fisher. Thx

It is only "just like a bearing buddy " in that it pushes grease.

Bearing buddies will push grease and any contaminates thru the two bearings and then out past a seal

Eze lube axels will force the grease to push away any contaminates from the bearings.

For anyone considering adding a set of Bearing Buddies I would suggest you save your money up and invest in a new axel. I am sure some are saying "are you nuts"

You can purchase a complete new axel assembly for 160.00, you drop the old and intall the new. The days of repacking bearings or replacing them every two years is over.

You can even step up the axel size from a 2000lbs to a 3500lbs for about $20.00 more. With stepping up the size you would need to purchase new bigger U-bolts.

It is only "just like a bearing buddy " in that it pushes grease.

Bearing buddies will push grease and any contaminates thru the two bearings and then out past a seal

Eze lube axels will force the grease to push away any contaminates from the bearings.

For anyone considering adding a set of Bearing Buddies I would suggest you save your money up and invest in a new axel. I am sure some are saying "are you nuts"

You can purchase a complete new axel assembly for 160.00, you drop the old and intall the new. The days of repacking bearings or replacing them every two years is over.

You can even step up the axel size from a 2000lbs to a 3500lbs for about $20.00 more. With stepping up the size you would need to purchase new bigger U-bolts.

I agree, I bought a complete axle and wheel set from Princess auto for $129.00 (on sale) I am going to always have a spare axle (bought on sale) on hand and simply replace teh works every couple of years. It took 1/2 hour to change the axle versus 2-3 hours repacking bearings/running around trying to find bearings, yada yada, yada...