Fly Fusion Forums

Night Fishing

marshall

I was out at my favorite spot in the NW last night and I came prepared with a headlamp to stay well after it got dark out. I was pretty impressed with how different it is at night, especially last night with the amount of fish that were rising as soon as the sun set.

Anyways, the biggest problem I had was being about to see my fly! I'm just curious how you guys approach fishing at night and whether to still fish a variety of drys, nymphs, and streamers or only some? I'm sure if I could have seen my caddis I would have had some great luck with it!

Also, I've also heard of some guys using glow in the dark paste, has anyone ever tried this? How would you work something like this?

As always, thanks for all of your insight on this!

I was out at my favorite spot in the NW last night and I came prepared with a headlamp to stay well after it got dark out. I was pretty impressed with how different it is at night, especially last night with the amount of fish that were rising as soon as the sun set.

Anyways, the biggest problem I had was being about to see my fly! I'm just curious how you guys approach fishing at night and whether to still fish a variety of drys, nymphs, and streamers or only some? I'm sure if I could have seen my caddis I would have had some great luck with it!

Also, I've also heard of some guys using glow in the dark paste, has anyone ever tried this? How would you work something like this?

As always, thanks for all of your insight on this!

Most nights you have some sort of light to work with. A bit of moonlight, starlight or lights form the city if you're in town. It does take a bit of time for your eyes to adjust to the dark. There have been nights when it has been pitch black when I position myself by flashlight and cast and wait for the slurp. Sound fishing alone. Swinging is nice as you can feel teh take if you know what to look for. I tie my night caddis with a large white antron post and keep my casts in a familiar area. I think you will find with a lot of the guys who stalk at night, they usually fish a stretch that they have gotten to know in the daylight like the back of their hand. So no mystery as far as the drif and the take.

Anyone ever try night vision goggles? They are getting cheaper than compared to a few years ago. A guy would have no excuse to complain about crowds if using these and at $269 they're a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of some fly gear:

http://www.thenightvisionstore.com/night-v...iallowprice.cfm

That looks super comfortable to fish in ... :blink:

Just remember to take off the goggles before taking a pic with the fish you catch or you'll go blind. :ph34r:

Can you imagine a hold crew of people dressed like a SWAT team flyfishing the Bow in the middle of the night? hahaha.

LOL, i'm so there. Sweet!!!

someone bring the tunes. need the mission impossible sound track playing in the background

The important thing to do when there's a ton of risers and your casting in the general direction of a fish is (ya it's gonna sound silly) to use the force. Let go of your feelings....... lol. Seriously, when you get the thought that one has taken your fly, set. When you hear something where u casted, set. When you see one rise anywhere near where your fly MIGHT be, set. Once u get the hang of it, night fishing = a whole new and fun world.

Just remember to take off the goggles before taking a pic with the fish you catch or you'll go blind. :ph34r:

Can you imagine a hold crew of people dressed like a SWAT team flyfishing the Bow in the middle of the night? hahaha.

I love it! It'll also work to get you to your nightly voyeur spot without tripping and banging your knee on a rock and disturbing the people you are playing peeping tom with. Oh wait, I've said too much.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I searched for quite a while but I only found one or two post regarding what to use at night. I tried using a prince nymph and a wolly bugger from 7:30 till 8:30 but I honestly don't understand how the fish can see/strike a fly at night. I know they do, but maybe I'm missing something? I tried swinging the flies close to the shore/bank and near the bottom.

Now since it matters what color, size, and pattern the flies are which are all visual aspects of the fly, meaning they strike/eat what they see, how can they strike/eat what is almost impossible to see? I mean the water is clear, and I've seen risers until the sun is completely down and its as dark as it will get, but none after. I didn't stay all night mind you. In the book I have he mentions he fished with streamers at night, but also advises you to use dries at night which makes some sense, since they can probably hone in on a fly from its landing in calm water.

Should I only use bright flies or light colors? I dunno, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest, how and why trout would feed at night. Or is it that you have to bounce your fly off his nose to wake him up and bite in anger? lol. But seriously, do you have to pretty much work every square inch of a spot to get within a few inches to get night strikes? Can you catch fish with a black nymph at night? I know darker colors are said to be better when its darker cause they usually see the lure from below, with the twilight as background.

I've not only never heard of night fishing, I thought it was illegal until I got into reading about fly fishing. I know 'spot lighting' is illegal. I also read that its best to fish from the banks, and I know from experience that 'Night wading' is not wise and takes forever. Add some territorial Beavers and it gets a little spooky, bastards swim right up to me. lol

I'd of stayed out there for hours tonight but I didn't see the point. That and I snagged the far bank cause I couldn't see my casts. For that matter I couldn't see anything, my line more then 5 feet out, my flies in the water right in front of me, the twist in my line, or the leader with nothing on it 10 mins after a snag. Although I did get lots of big swings in and in the same spot I caught fish the other day at dusk. I knew the drift at that spot for sure.

I could have tried it longer, and now I wish I would have. Then again that Beaver shocked the hell out of me by slapping his tail near me. I usually see them swimming, but not this time. Almost had a coronary. :o

Guest bigbadbrent

they see the silloute of the flys...and yes, they'll be rising all night

tougher to do this time of year, less bugs. In july and august, you can fish all night long with dries and do amazing

OK, I searched for quite a while but I only found one or two post regarding what to use at night. I tried using a prince nymph and a wolly bugger from 7:30 till 8:30 but I honestly don't understand how the fish can see/strike a fly at night. I know they do, but maybe I'm missing something? I tried swinging the flies close to the shore/bank and near the bottom.

Now since it matters what color, size, and pattern the flies are which are all visual aspects of the fly, meaning they strike/eat what they see, how can they strike/eat what is almost impossible to see? I mean the water is clear, and I've seen risers until the sun is completely down and its as dark as it will get, but none after. I didn't stay all night mind you. In the book I have he mentions he fished with streamers at night, but also advises you to use dries at night which makes some sense, since they can probably hone in on a fly from its landing in calm water.

Should I only use bright flies or light colors? I dunno, it doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest, how and why trout would feed at night. Or is it that you have to bounce your fly off his nose to wake him up and bite in anger? lol. But seriously, do you have to pretty much work every square inch of a spot to get within a few inches to get night strikes? Can you catch fish with a black nymph at night? I know darker colors are said to be better when its darker cause they usually see the lure from below, with the twilight as background.

You are making the mistake of trying to find a "magic fly" no such fly exists. What you need to start thinking of is what are the fish eating at night on a particular time of year that you may be fishing. This is the same day or night. Varieties of insect do hatch at night or late evening. Trout may be feeding on a number of stages of the present insects. Pupa, larva, nymph, stillborn or spinner etc. Look at what is in the water. flip stones. Carry a small aquarium net and sift the surface. Find the formula of what the fish are feeding on and you're in the loop as far as color size etc.

Dedicate time to look examine and hear what is going on. Fly fishing is not all about throwing flies.

Your right about my need to understand the entomology of the environment of where I plan to fish. I'm more trying to place the fly where I think the fish will be at. Rainbows, so I've read, like faster current and will rest in the slightest drop in bottom, also near the bank and overhangs. Brown's I'm not as clear on, and I haven't seen one where I fish yet, considering I only really vaguely know the area. I've read they like, or don't mind the shallows or sunlight directly on them. "out in the open" and calmer waters then RB. As for Bull and others I'm not that far down the rabbit hole yet.

What I still am mystified is how the trout feed at night. Since it seems to me a river like the bow has poor visibility with all the turbulence and air in the water. Yet I know that even under white water the water can be somewhat calm underneath. Now in turbulent water even seeing a small fly must be difficult, let alone with fish eyes. Now take away light? How in gods name they can see, strike and eat something as small as a fly that doesn't essentially swim right in front of their face is beyond me. Yet I know they feed, so I'm wondering if its all about getting the fly right in front of them? Assuming your streaming or nymphing or both. Dries, like I said I can understand if the water is calm and flat.

I want to believe, I really do, but I can't help but feel like I'm wasting my time. And as advised, its a difficult time, so I probably am close to wasting time. However I think 'how' they eat is worth understanding, as well as 'what' they eat.

That said............. I'm off to the river.

Guest bigbadbrent

fish actually have amazing vision. They see bugs at night by the silhouette cast by the bug. Brown trout are supposed to have some incredible night vision, and are known to be quite nocturnal as well.

I've caught some of my biggest fish in the choppiest water at night time....dont ask me to explain it, it just works

fish actually have amazing vision. They see bugs at night by the silhouette cast by the bug. Brown trout are supposed to have some incredible night vision, and are known to be quite nocturnal as well.

I've caught some of my biggest fish in the choppiest water at night time....dont ask me to explain it, it just works

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed they have good vision, which is another misconceptions I need to shed. I'd also guess that 'how' the trout see things underwater at night is one of the 'great mysteries' that we'll probably never fully understand. Or maybe its just a 'great mystery' to me, and pointless info to others. Since I can't see my fly, or know where I'm actually casting to, I think I'll leave night fishing for a later date when I have some better skills. That and some night-vision goggles. :P