Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta Trout Culture

Apparently thoughts are being bounced around about building a new facility to raise trout. Incredibly, there is even discussion about raising a few different varieties/strains of rainbows that are specifically adapted to certain types of environmental conditions. It seems that there are some folks with BC backgrounds that are creeping into Alberta. Hopefully, we as anglers, will benefit from some new (to Alberta) ideas on the subject of growing fish in lakes.

what a great idea, let's stock alberta with all the non-naturals when the funding could go in to cutthroat recovery............ I personally hope this doesn't get any traction, it's 2011 almost 2012 and the idea of increasing fishing opportunities by introducing hatchery freaks is clearly pre-2000 thinking. THere are far to many bad examples of mans attempts to create fisheries..... you don't have to drive very far to get Tigers or pellet feed stockers, sorry I meant triploids. we have splakes, soon you won't be very far from trophy Canadian Lahontin fishery. We have the opportunity to put cutts back in their historical range, until that is completed I don't think Alberta should move forward with other species

Not talking about different species....just different strains of Rainbows....like the ones already stocked all over Alberta.

Do you think the government will/should stop stocking rainbows in all the lakes/ponds where no spawning occurs? So all the folks living far from the mountains should only be able to catch pike/walleye/perch?

How does stocking "native Cutts" in a lake with no spawning help out the Cutts population problems that exist presently?

Different strains of Rainbows that are adapted to certain environmental conditions should grow better in certain spots. They don't have to be triploids in order to do better under the right conditions.

As long as the government is committed to growing rainbows for ponds/lakes, why not grow fish that can grow more efficiently in the right type of environments?

Guest Jeremie

It'd be nice to see some different strains of trout. Anyone want to fill

Me in on the lahontan situation? Would like to see at least some tiger trout kicking around in Alberta!

The cutthroats are so diluted now, i think it would be really hard to re-establish native populations. I'd rather see athabasca rainbows to be honest.

Just my 2 cents.

For someone who put up pictures of brood stock this is an interesting comment.

Provide MY photos of brood stock please.... I don't ever recall fishing with you. From my understanding broodstock are wild fish raised in a closed system to best maximize reproduction.... I'm not sure if you are aware but brood stock are not Triploids

I was more trying to imply that money could be better used elsewhere, the SRD coffers aren't overflowing so everytime a new idea comes to play, some of the established process must be dropped or limited to free up a budget, in my opinion that money should be used for cutthroat rehabilitaion.

if this discussion is just about put & take fisheries and we aren't talking any new species then cool

Provide MY

I was more trying to imply that money could be better used elsewhere, the SRD coffers aren't overflowing so everytime a new idea comes to play, some of the established process must be dropped or limited to free up a budget, in my opinion that money should be used for cutthroat rehabilitaion.

if this discussion is just about put & take fisheries and we aren't talking any new species then cool

Agreed, let's try and fix what we've already f'd up before f'n up something else.

cutties are on the way out specially in the oldman and castle drainages not too mention highwood sheep and anywere else there are rainbows.. im all for a harder fighting, larger, more reproductive species.. and the rivers taht once had cutties and dont now like ghost or kanaskis river are buggered because of dams... im all for cutt bows rainbows and browns! if they are looking at stocking similar strains into lakes they do BC aswell they should! our lakes are brutal compared to some of theres and some of it has to do with the strain... would be cool to see some epic still water action in alberta... save some of my buddies gas money ripping across the border i suppose..

cutties are on the way out specially in the oldman and castle drainages not too mention highwood sheep and anywere else there are rainbows.. im all for a harder fighting, larger, more reproductive species.. and the rivers taht once had cutties and dont now like ghost or kanaskis river are buggered because of dams... im all for cutt bows rainbows and browns! if they are looking at stocking similar strains into lakes they do BC aswell they should! our lakes are brutal compared to some of theres and some of it has to do with the strain... would be cool to see some epic still water action in alberta... save some of my buddies gas money ripping across the border i suppose..

Isn't the native cutthroat push happening mostly in the parks? If so, shouldn't it be parks $ that pays for it? They have their own regs and licenses so those dollars should be coming from within, no?

And I'm all for a variety of trout species (rainbow or otherwise) in Alberta, but first, SRD has to get their head's pulled out of their asses, and allow some sunshine to get down their so they can grow a set of balls and change the regs on some Alberta put and take lakes. I think any lake worthy of aeration should also be worthy of C&R or one over or under 18". Until they get that right, it would just be money down the tube to stock different varieties of trout. I mean, who cares if girrard rainbows grow better in a lake when non of them will see life past 14".

Cheers.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

so, whats the prob. get a lake with a controlled in and out flow, then dump bait and big fish.

on a side not why not just dump truck loads of native bait fish into strugling bodies of water?