Fly Fusion Forums

Hunting Season

Ricinus

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, but I will.

Perhaps I misunderstood your comments, but my impression is that since it's hunting season wearing orange will help prevent you from getting shot by a hunter.

This suggests that this is a common occurrence?

When was the last time a flyfisherman or hiker in Alberta was shot by a hunter?

I know, I know, if it prevents it from happening once its a good thing, but you have a better probability of falling while walking to the stream, so maybe you should wear a helmet?

So is it really best to wear orange? If someone reads this thread could they possibly think, 'Geez it's not that safe to be anywhere near woods in Alberta from Sept-Jan'. Could this not be construed as a bit much?

Unfortunately, there are some very poor representatives in the hunting community and I will be the first to admit it. But I will stand up and defend hunters from a society that tirelessly tries to characterize them as unethical, blood thirsty creatures that drive down the road drinking beer and shooting everything that moves.

Oh and it is well documented that wearing orange has no correlation to lowering the rate of hunting related shootings.

So back to my original comment. Is yes, I think you are inciting an unecessary worry about safety in the woods.

I'm more worried about guys who walk around armed because they're scared shitless about bears and cougars, they're the ones who are prone to shoot at noises. Ran into one the other day who was carryin' a bow and a rifle. When I asked him about the rifle while bow huntin' he said he always carried it while bow huntin' because it wasn't safe in the woods without it. Jumpy SOB.. he coulda climbed a tree in one bound when I warned him I was there.

Oh and it is well documented that wearing orange has no correlation to lowering the rate of hunting related shootings.

Check your facts. You're 3 times more likely to be shot if you're not wearing orange. Put another way, of all shootings, about 1 in 4 victims are hi-vis.

Pipes, I don't see how you can construe wearing orange is antihunting or a knock against hunters. If I had said it's wise to wear a life jacket in a boat, would you say I was antiboating and fearmongering about water? So in short, I can't follow your reasoning.

Mike

Check your facts. You're 3 times more likely to be shot if you're not wearing orange. Put another way, of all shootings, about 1 in 4 victims are hi-vis.

I'd like your reference for your "facts". If that was true, why does Alberta not require hunters to wear blaze orange any longer? At one time hunters had to wear blaze orange, now we no longer do. Why would they change the law if it actually could be proven to save lives? Most hunting accidents are the result of an accidental discharge, not being mistaken for wildlife.

I'd like your reference for your "facts". If that was true, why does Alberta not require hunters to wear blaze orange any longer? At one time hunters had to wear blaze orange, now we no longer do. Why would they change the law if it actually could be proven to save lives? Most hunting accidents are the result of an accidental discharge, not being mistaken for wildlife.

x2..show us the facts!

I'm staying out of the argument, but I will say that if 1 in 4 victims of shooting are wearing hi-vis, that does not mean that you are 3 times more likely to be shot if you are not wearing hi-vis. You would need to know percentage of people wearing hi-vis to know that. If the ratio was 50/50, then your statement would be correct. However, I don't think there is any way 50% of people wear hi-vis.

Ricinus (Mike),

I first suggest to re-read my second post. My reasoning is pretty straightforward. But here's some elaboration:

a) MY impression is your intended message is one should wear orange to prevent getting shot during hunting season. Is this not your thought?

B) If so, my opinion is that this is fear mongering and I go on to explain that someone reading this could think that it's world war 3 out there.

c) I didn't say anything about this was anti-hunting. Read my post again. I said this was putting unfound fear in people - IE Fear mongering

d) I DID say that I will stand up for hunters against misguided information. As a hunter, this is important because there are too many groups that are fighting to take away hunting. Same as everyone here who fights to protect their fishing resource (as I do as well).

Your life jacket analogy is completely off on what I am trying to convey. but hey if you want to wear orange go ahead doesn't bother me. Maybe a blaze orange life jacket since you will be near the water (that's a joke to lighten the tone here, not trying to be evil).

Just thought I would share my knowledge of this subject as an experienced hunter in Alberta.

Pipes, there was a survey done on AO 2009 about who wears orange and who doesn't - split vote 50/50. Even hunters are split on the matter. Anyhow, my original comment was a suggestion and NOT intended as fearmongering. And my lifejacket is red, so there!!

Mike

I'm not writing a college thesis here. It's called google. Try it some time.

My guess is the same thinking that led Alberta to fight tooth and nail against instituting seatbelt laws.

My guess is the same thinking that led Alberta to fight tooth and nail against instituting seatbelt laws.

How many hunting accidents do you think there are every year in Alberta? When was the last time someone was shot after being mistaken for wildlife?

How many hunting accidents do you think there are every year in Alberta? When was the last time someone was shot after being mistaken for wildlife?

A couple years ago a guy was shot in the Waiparous area.

Not a great reference but mention of the incident appears here:

http://www.airdrieecho.com/ArticleDisplay....mp;archive=true