Fly Fusion Forums

Hungry Or Stupid???

SteveM

I fished a small creek yesterday. At one point, I caught a decent cutthroat trout in a riffle leading into a pool. He put up a good fight & bent my little 2wt rod pretty good. Took a couple pics & released the fish. I fished through the body of the pool & caught a few more fish. After about 15 minutes I fished the riffle again. I hooked a trout in the exact same spot, using the exact same fly. This one didn't really fight at all. It looked like the same fish. I took a couple quick pics before taking my time reviving & releasing him. I compared the pics & found out that it was indeed the same trout; pretty short memory, apparently!

A couple pics of the first fish...

p9240730.jpg

p9240732.jpg

Second time around...

p9240741.jpg

p9240742.jpg

Compare pic#2 to pic#3. I looked at the spot pattern behind the eye & the spot pattern behind the gill plate; definitely the same fish. Color looks a little different 'cuz the first pics were taken in the shade, while the last two pics were taken in direct sunlight.

Guess he was trying to fatten up for the winter!

Probably heard what a good photographer you are and wanted it's 15 minutes. Twice.

Ha-ha-ha...

Or, he heard what a piss-poor fisherman I am & felt sorry for me???

How do you explain this one? He covered his face...

p9240769.jpg

Just shy???

That is absolutely the same fish. Check out the Big Dipper spot pattern behind the fin

I fished a small creek yesterday. At one point, I caught a decent cutthroat trout in a riffle leading into a pool. He put up a good fight & bent my little 2wt rod pretty good. Took a couple pics & released the fish. I fished through the body of the pool & caught a few more fish. After about 15 minutes I fished the riffle again. I hooked a trout in the exact same spot, using the exact same fly. This one didn't really fight at all. It looked like the same fish. I took a couple quick pics before taking my time reviving & releasing him. I compared the pics & found out that it was indeed the same trout; pretty short memory, apparently!

A couple pics of the first fish...

p9240730.jpg

p9240732.jpg

Second time around...

p9240741.jpg

p9240742.jpg

Compare pic#2 to pic#3. I looked at the spot pattern behind the eye & the spot pattern behind the gill plate; definitely the same fish. Color looks a little different 'cuz the first pics were taken in the shade, while the last two pics were taken in direct sunlight.

Guess he was trying to fatten up for the winter!

All depends on how many times they've been fished over, ain't gonna get many double takers on the L'stone or the Gap section.

Where'd ya catch that fish anywho? Cowboys and Newfies need dumber than average fish.

All depends on how many times they've been fished over, ain't gonna get many double takers on the L'stone or the Gap section.

Where'd ya catch that fish anywho? Cowboys and Newfies need dumber than average fish.

Yeah, I don't believe these fish are seeing quite as many fishermen as the ones at the Liv or the Gap.

I don't know if I "need" dumber than average fish; but, it's sure nice to find some of 'em every now & then!

Here's a few more pics from that day...

A beautiful fall day...

p9240751.jpg

Sure glad I've started carrying bearspray, especially when I'm fishing solo...

p9240743.jpg

More especially when I see these tracks...

p9240771.jpg

I fished a big Parachute Madam X with a boatman dropper most of the day, then switched to a foam hopper with a Prince nymph dropper. Not much fun trying to throw those with the 2wt, but little dries weren't cutting it; hopper/dropper was money!

p9240729.jpg

p9240721.jpg

p9240718.jpg

p9240737.jpg

p9240745.jpg

p9240754.jpg

p9240757.jpg

Pretty strong argument for resting a stretch longer than 15 minutes.

You're absolutely right, Junior.

Let's see...that's one time in about 40 years of fishing that I can recall this happening; at this rate, it should happen again in 2051. I'd better change my ways! :angel:smail:

Anyhoo, here's a few more pics from the day...

p9240734.jpg

p9240758.jpg

Ended the day with a few brookies...

p9240768.jpg

p9240759.jpg

p9240761.jpg

p9240762.jpg

p9240765.jpg

p9240764.jpg

Lots of fun! Can't wait to do it all over again!

I was fishing Sunday on the Bow with another member. We were by Policeman's and I broke off an 18 inch rainbow, tippit and bead. Went back to the boat to retie and headed back out when my buddy yelled -Got one. Get the net and throat sampler! He was yelling that there were two hooks in the mouth. I told him that I get my fly back. Should I have let him keep the fly? This all happened within five minutes, was the fish hungry or our flies that good?

flyfishy