Fly Fusion Forums

Fun With Rocks

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Did you find that stuff south of Lethbridge?

If so how was the fishing? I have been getting a lot of whites but can't seem to figure out what the bows are taking. At one point I had 9 or 10 fish rising around me and went through pretty much all my dry flies and couldn't get them to take anything.

The mineral is spelled Mica, just for the record, and it doesn't appear to be Mica to me (there are generally two classes: Muscovite and Biotite). Mica is reasonably brittle (very flake-like) and not typically found in large chunks like that, from the picture, it appears more like weathered quartz. And that ammolite is actually worth more than diamond, for the high grade stuff anyway. I believe there are only two places in the world that it is found high grade and in abundance, one is near lethbridge. Nice samples for sure!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

its not mica, but the internal structure of the shell and very red but highly fractured. i left all the big ones in the mud as i dont have a permit and would probably ruin anything good that i found.

does any one have any exp. with cleaning and pollishing? i have read a few sites but hands on help is always better.

Thanks

Jeremy