Fly Fusion Forums

Zodiac W'jet

cgyguy

Just sold my Clackacraft this year to a fellow flyfisherman. Used the boat on the Bow for years and had a lot of enjoyent out of her. Will provide lots more smiles and memorable days for it's new owner. Reason I sold is because I am getting older, have bursitis in my elbow, and have trouble rowing with it these days. So, decided to buy a Zodiac with a 30 hp pump (jet) on the back. It is all new to me as I have never owned a boat like this before. My reasoning for buying is: bursitis, age, can get on the water and off without a shuttle service, or if a storm is fast approaching, and do not have to dedicate a whole day on the river if needing to head home early. Also,will be using it in places where the drift boats have for most part gone through already, or fishing far below where they would get to later in the day.

I have heard many complaints about jet boats on the Bow and I have also been known to share in that frustration, especially when the driver of that boat does not respect others on the water :curse: . My first commitment is NOT to upset anyone while passing by, I will follow all laws, I will stay clear of your area you are fishing, I will be friendly, and will be available if an emergency were to arise and someone needed help on the water. I will also be there to assist anyone in need of anything at all, and will try to be respectful of others especially when moving. If you need anything, just wave!

I do note however, that if the boat is up on plane, it is very difficult to slow down to a crawl everytime I pass another boat, but i will do my very best not to interrupt your day.

I am not sure if the perception of a Zodiac with a pump on the back is that of the much talked about Jet Boats, but I am sure there are some people that would put it in the same category. My boat is grey with a blue Yamaha 30 on the back, with a steering console. You will not see me everyday on the Bow, but as an avid flyfiherman, and a member of this board, I just wanted to let you know that I will do my very best not to be that bad :curse: *(&^ in the Zodiac!~!

I look forward to fishing the Bow in the new craft, if I ever upset any of you, please send me a pm and I will try to make it right. :bow:

Sincerely,

cgyguy

Hello cgyguy, very considerate of you. Last week I had a man with a jet go thru my hole twice in minutes, and there was lots of room to go elsewhere, so I was very unimpressed, and yet on the otherhand, I run a 14 ft jon w a short shaft 15 on it. At times moving up river if it narrows I have to stay to a certain depth to go thru, and that at times encroaches on fishers, but I will usually try to announce my intentions. I think most boaters will make themselves available if someone needs assistance. Over the years I pulled 2 strugggling swimmers out, and saved a jet boat with motor problems from going over the weir at Carseland. I like to think most of us are considerate, and yet there are a few that really curl my hairs. Keep eveyone in mind. Sound like your new set will make fishing easier on the sore body. Enjoy, I will wave if I see you out there.

On behalf of CGYGUY I would like to thank whoever it was that towed our boat back to the launch site shortly after our departure on Saturday morning. Our jet conked out and we were left with quite a walk back. But, the kind gentlemen were gracious enough to delay their day and assist us. Once again, THANKS.

FHD

On behalf of CGYGUY I would like to thank whoever it was that towed our boat back to the launch site shortly after our departure on Saturday morning. Our jet conked out and we were left with quite a walk back. But, the kind gentlemen were gracious enough to delay their day and assist us. Once again, THANKS.

FHD

This is why i always jet upstream in case something happens, you can always drift back to your starting point.