Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Seats

lad

Uplocking or downlocking ?

Thought i would ask as i myself really like a down locking reel seat. They do not seem very popular and i wonder why ? Unless you are looking at high end bamboo rods all the mass manufactured rods have up lockers from what i have noticed. I will ask this- when you are in the market for a new flyrod is it a consideration ? There are also dual ring reel seats that actually make sense for finding the best balance in a flyrod. All reels do weigh a bit differently so i would think to get the best "feel" reel seats would be an important feature. There are endless amounts of discussion on the action, length, weight of flyrods but the seats..... why not ? If you build your own rod the seat of the rod is a major consideration but with mass manufactured rods like sage for instance it does not seem to be a concern to the masses who buy them. I do not think they make one but i may be wrong. To myself everything behind the reel is extra weight just looking to get in the way but..... i do own a few.

Lad