Fly Fusion Forums

September 17, 2007

Guest Rocknbugs

Guest Rocknbugs

Im not sure how this works but here we go. It was a great evening for fishing. Got to the river at about 6:00 fish were rising like crazy so on with the dry, 4 hits in a row and could not get one of them. Slowed down for awhile so decided to through on a San Juan and a Hares Ear (my special blend) and first cast on the Hares Ear a 20+ rainbow she ran on me 4 times with a few good jumps as well, reached down to remove the hook and she was gone a few more casts later this girl was caught also took the Hares Ear. At this point its getting pretty dark and the fish are rising again but im getting a hit on the nymph almost every other cast. I got broke off by a good size fish that I did not get to see.....just feel. Barely got a re-tie done before it was to dark and quickly landed another rainbow smallish probably 16ish. Had two more fish on again right away but they both did the long line release on me. Man if I had a head lamp I would still be out there just could not thread the hook anymore. Ive never used a headlamp does anyone know how much they cost and were a guy could go get one. Anyways it was a good night all around tons of hits lots of action a few fish landed and the weather was great. Here is my first try at adding a photo....hope it works out.

post-791-1190087530.jpg

Guest Rocknbugs
Sounds fun. Gorgeous colors on the Browns lately. Headlamps available at Fish Tales Fly Shop for under $15.

Yea those spots along the side were really red, was a sweet looking fish.

2 headlamps I would recommend would be:

Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp ($33) - small LED light, 3 settings plus a blinker. excellent battery life on 2 AAA's.

Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp ($45) - brighter than the Tikka Plus with a larger LED bulb. excellent battery life on 3 AAA's.

Both are rated very high and are excellent for backpacking. Both are waterproof for those times when you accidentally drop them in the water and can be used in the rain and snow. They are quite handy for walking out of Fish Creek Park in the dark, which I've done a few times. I like waterproof/water resistant things. :)

If you're looking for less frills, the one that MTB mentions sounds good. I might even try to swing over there to pick one up.

Trust me Dude, It was a pleasant surprise.

I do like the crazy azz light the LED throws off, but as stated, I got friggen swarmed. The second I flipped the red cover thing over to change to a nice subtle red light, bugs were gone!

Plus its easier on the eyes and you dont get the harsh period of adjustment from when you turn the LED off until you can sort of see again. The red just lights things up nicely.

Try it, youll like it!

Guest Rocknbugs

I picked up a 4 in 1 yesterday it has the main led then it has a smaller led for saving power, it also has the red light and a blinking red light that means HHHEEELLLPPPP!!!!. Anyways I tried the red light and it did help a bit but still was pretty dark.