Fly Fusion Forums

Mad With Tiemco Hooks

Gil

I had an average day on the Bow today except for one point where I was taken into my backing by a major fish. Just as things were getting real exciting I loose it. Wasn't too surprised since I was using 4 x tippet. Interesting thing is however when i check my line it wasn't the line that broke at all, the #14 (nymph) hook bent out. Couldn't believe the hook would bend before 4x would break. Yes it was fluro, still...really pissed me off. Thinking of switching to another supplier.

Too bad... strange I have had the opposite experience with Tiemco. 20"+ on #18's with NO issues.

Maybe yours were made on a Friday...

I used Tiemco for years including for small drys and haven't had too many issues so perhaps I'm being too hard on them, but man that was a nice fish on what was otherwise a so so day......

I also use Tiemco and have no problems thus far.

Something to consider is where the hook was located in the fish. If the hook was not razor sharp and the tip was was touching bone or just not achieving penetration to the hook bend, it puts much more stress on the hook bend itself resulting in a straighten hook. Not saying this is your case but I'm positive this had happen to me in the past.

I have had similar problems with Dai-Riki hooks. I found they fail more often then not on bow river fish and was considering the switch to Tiemco as a result.

I was especially disappointed because I bought $70 bucks worth of hooks and tied a pile this winter without the knowledge that these hooks just don't cut the mustard.

I have had similar problems with Dai-Riki hooks. I found they fail more often then not on bow river fish and was considering the switch to Tiemco as a result.

I was especially disappointed because I bought $70 bucks worth of hooks and tied a pile this winter without the knowledge that these hooks just don't cut the mustard.

I have found that the Dai-Rikis break at the bend, but I'm only running about 5% failure rate and that's pretty acceptable to me.

I know some people are going to throw garbage and rotten tomatoes at me but I absoultly love mustad hooks.

I have tied thousands of flies and I have never had a issuse with the hook, even the ones that I tie for my friends never have I had them come back and say anything to me.

I know some people are going to throw garbage and rotten tomatoes at me but I absoultly love mustad hooks.

I have tied thousands of flies and I have never had a issuse with the hook, even the ones that I tie for my friends never have I had them come back and say anything to me.

I use Mustad for anything below #12 but always used premium hooks for smaller sizes. I have to admit though ive

never had an issue with a Mustad....