Fly Fusion Forums

Belly Boat

Guest ArtVandelay

Hi

I have the entire month of October off so I thought I'd buy a belly boat and do a little stillwater fishing before the cold weather comes. I'm not after brand recommendations here, unless there's something you love and would highly recommend. I always tend to buy middle of the road. I do have a few questions, though:

1. What else will I need to purchase besides the boat?

2. Is this thing easy to inflate and deflate so I can pack it in my Civic?

3. Is a life jacket mandatory? Advisable?

4. Can you give me a ballpark figure on total cost?

Thanks guys...you've been great.

JV

PS Does anyone care to join me on my maiden voyage at Bullshead on October 1st or 2nd? I wouldn't want any money for gas, or anything...a Timmy's will do. I don't know if we can pack two boats in my car. I have no problem throwing gear in the back seat. Oh that's a weekday, btw. Did I mention I'm off the entire month of October? :lol:

1. What else will I need to purchase besides the boat?

A few things. Fins to get around in the water. Waders if you don't have them already. A double action pump - 10 buck @ WM. An anchor is nice to have to keep you stationary.

2. Is this thing easy to inflate and deflate so I can pack it in my Civic?

You shouldn't have any issues with a floattube. Use the double action pump and you can inflate it in about 2 minutes.

3. Is a life jacket mandatory? Advisable?

I'm not sure about manditory, but it is advisable. Remember that you are going into deep water, and if something goes wrong, you want to be prepared. You can get CO2 Inflatable PFD's for a about 100 bucks. They are fairly flat until you need them and inflate with a little co2 cartridge.

4. Can you give me a ballpark figure on total cost?

The tube would run anywhere between 150 - 400 depending on the quality and features you want. Fin will run about 60 bucks.

Tubes are great to start out in. Have fun. :)

i have a CAT 4. i think i paid about 150 for it. roughly. it is more of a u tube than a belly boat but has 2 pontoons rather than one that wraps around.

you will need fins - $30 ish, chest waders $125 and up to whatever depending on what you buy. 5mm neopreens are nice but breathables work also if you wear longjohns or thermals, air pump dual action - $25ish, wading boots or boots that will fit your waders and you don't care if they get wet, any price range.

i dont wear a floatation vest, but i dont drink and fish and i'm a strong swimmer, the cat 4 also has a 'seatbelt' so to speak. a friend of mine just bought a fly vest that has a co2 canister and the vest inflates when you pull the tab, kind of like the airplane life vests. cost was around 180 at the fishing hole but was recently on sale for 140ish or something like that. but now that i think about it slipping off and filling your waders up with water does not sound like a good idea. so probably advisable

i have a blazer so it fits in the back cargo area no problem, if you have a hatchback with the back seats down, you shouldnt have a problem but the CAT 4 is bulky buecause of the foam seat, the deluxe modle i think has the inflatible seat and squishes down better. deflating is easy (turn knob and pull plug, then sit on it), blowing it up with the double action pump takes a no more than 5 mins.

the benefit of the cat 4 or comparable is you are mostly out of the water unlike a belly boat but is compact and much lighter than a pontoon boat. but the pontoon boats do have more room for stuff except it wont fit in the civic and since they have a steel frame, if you have to walk to a lake - ie bear pond - it sux!!! big time. i think the base model pontoons start around 600 but dont quote me on that

i was going to give you the wholesale sports catalogue but they are updating the fishing section. www.wholesalesports.com

unfortunately - i have to work :( so i cant join you on the 1st or 2nd. a weekend might work after thanksgiving if the weather holds - i can drive and fit both without a problem, you get the tims lol

hope that helps

i have a CAT 4. i think i paid about 150 for it. roughly. it is more of a u tube than a belly boat but has 2 pontoons rather than one that wraps around.

You mean this one?

Russell's has the Deluxe for $215. This could be my new boat. I have waders and boots. Thanks for the help.

Might want to consider fin savers, they're little velcro straps that attach to your fins and around your legs, so if a fin ever slips off, you won't loose them.

If you're packing everything in the Civic, and you buy something that uses a conventional tire tube, buy a valve stem removal tool, and some spare valves and caps. You can pick them up at CT for cheap.

As I get older, and perhaps wiser, I've started using a life jacket. If you don't want to shell out for a CO2 inflatable, you can pick up a water skiing style jacket that's not too bulky, and about half the price.

Give me a shout when you get set up, and we can hit Lake Chaparral.

Fish cat 4 is a great deal...you'd be perfectly happy with it. Deluxe is more money, as stated, but has an inflated seat, backrest, and you'll sit a little higher out of the water. As long as you aren't 300 lbs that is! :P

The design of the outcast fishcat and fatcats is revolutionary. They move through the water much much better than the tube style ones. In addition you sit out of the water keeping you warmer and higher for longer casts. What ever you do don't by the tube style ones.

Have a fatcat now and will never sit in another tube style again!

Might want to consider fin savers, they're little velcro straps that attach to your fins and around your legs, so if a fin ever slips off, you won't loose them.

Give me a shout when you get set up, and we can hit Lake Chaparral.

Will floatable fins do the trick? I hope you were sincere about your Chaparral offer. You'll be hearing from me soon :)

1. I prefer Uboat styles over float tubes. It is nice to have the open front and your not hangin there by your nads.

2. I would recommend Neoprean waders over breathables for the water this time of year. but as stated, breathables work, just may be a bit chilly. I find my knees get all seizy from the cold water wrapped around them.

3. A word of caution. Do not travel with an inflated float tube. Changes in elevation can mean an explosion. IE. if you left Vancouver with an inflated Tube, as you gained elevation toward merrit, the atmospheric pressure lessens as you climb meaning the air inside the tube is under less pressure and will expand. I have heard of tubes exploding this way.

4. I have used all types of fins and would Highly reccomend FORCE FIN as the shape allows it to travel backward through the water easier setting you up for the kick stroke.

Life jacket would be good piece of mind. I dont use one but think about it every time I am out. even in my pontoon boat. Ideally I would like a CO2 model as they are very low profile when not required. Check out a pawnshop to look for a cheap life jacket maybe?

yep, thats the one. the pockets have lots of room and sit well out of the water -keep the smokes dry, also has drink holders that fit a large gatorade bottle. if you go to russells talk to kurt - he's great.

Oh yeah...Kurt and I are well acquainted. He's probably sick of seeing me. I'm heading to the Crowsnest area on Saturday. Is there a nice "safe" place I can float around for a couple of hours? Not Chain Lakes...a little further south.

JV

Guest Rocknbugs
Will floatable fins do the trick? I hope you were sincere about your Chaparral offer. You'll be hearing from me soon :)

Myself and some others are going to try and get a Mackenzie Lake float together, if it works for you, you can come as well. Well I'm going for sure.

Go to Walmart and buy and 8lb rubberized dumbell (for doing arm curls), tie on 40 ft of 5/16 rope and coil it around the dumbell (great anchor). Next tie a piece of rope around the back side of the backrest on your tube (probably handles/D rings on both sides). When achoring just tie off your anchor rope to this permanent rope behind the backrest (change knot position to orient in the wind). Measure 5ft increments on your anchor rope and tie an overhand knot there for depth markers.

Myself and some others are going to try and get a Mackenzie Lake float together, if it works for you, you can come as well. Well I'm going for sure.

I'm in! I should be able to pick up thed new gear tomottow afternoon. I'll let you know.

Oh yeah...Kurt and I are well acquainted. He's probably sick of seeing me. I'm heading to the Crowsnest area on Saturday. Is there a nice "safe" place I can float around for a couple of hours? Not Chain Lakes...a little further south.

JV

lees lake or beaver mines. lees is not too far south of the hwy 3 and 507 junction to beaver mines and beaver mines lake is off of hwy 774 on the left when you are heading towards castle mt resort, just before the sign that says castle mt and lynx creek camp ground after the town of beaver mines somewhere around 1/2 way to the ski hill.

i know beaver mines is stocked with rainbow and i can only assume that lees lake is also stocked since i see people fishing in the summer there on my way to the carbondale.

oh, i also saw a few in the trading post that were for sale in aug, take a look and see if they are still available. one was the Cat 4 deluxe model at a good price.

Yoo,

I have a fishcat 4 and a 98 Civic HB and I do fine. You can keep it inflated but you'll have to put your seats down.. deflated it will fit in anything about 2x2x3 foot area, which makes it easy to fit two plus all your gear. I keep it deflated and use a electric pump to pump it up. Probabally takes about 3 mintues to setup. I have honkin flippers ( i think they are protecs) that were given to me as a gift. They get you across the water faster , but are tough to walk around in. I think the force fins? ( the ones with the ends pointed up ) are much easier to walk in.

I was on a lake with a buddie that has a doughnut and I had my uboat. I was able to out maneuver him in speed and agility. I also didn't have the same problems he did when trying to get in/out of the boat. He was most disheartened by the whole ordeal. I have heard that the doughnuts are much more stable (less tippy) but i haven't had any problems yet.

I wear a life preserver beause 25 bucks is nothing if it will save my ass.

I'm not sure if this was covered, but i bring a small bike style hand pump with me in one of the pockets. Haven't had to use it yet but I've heard stories about people having to pump thier tubes on the water and just want to be ready.

Oh and i've also heard that you should pump them up in the sun, not in the Shade then move into the sun. The bladders expand and contract quite a bit and may burst.

Monger,

I've been looking for an solution to the Anchor and that sound mighty fine, i'll have to use it.

I aslo have a question for those who used Anchors. Do you find that you can easily get turned around by the wind? Should I get two smaller anchors and attach them to both sides of the boat? I thought this might be a better idea to stay facing the right direction.

Anchoring a tube is pretty easy...just run the rope through a ring on the back of the tube and tie it off beside you. That way you're always facing downwind.

Advice: drop the $160 on a Mustang Airforce PFD. Far more comfortable to wear in a tube.

I fish a Togiak u boat where the pontoons come up and to a point in the back.With the wind conditions weve encountered here this summer ive found this to be a stable and reliable boat,even in the white caps :blink::o .If a person can afford the Force Fins they are worth the $$$,some say they kick slower,but in the long run are easier on the knees ;) TK