Fly Fusion Forums

Big Fish, Small Net

headscan

what a brute I put the measurements, as he was weighed on a household scale, through one of those fish weight equations and came out with 18 and some odd pounds thats about what I would have put him at...... still woulda been the alberta record if the current still stands at 17 something......

I very rarely use a net and catch thousands of fish per season..That being said, it is often easier to net a fish out of a moving boat with less experienced anglers.. My position on fish pictures is known to many and not liked or appreciated by most.....But all methods are fine, provided enough care is given to revive the fish...Oh and BBB , I think you like to talk to much!!

Now I know why you would not let me take pictures of those 2 Muskies (and the Tuna that broke my XP-586) while fishing with you on the Bow last month. That Gaff hook worked great (I think we revived most of those fish? right?).

Had a nice fish a couple of evenings ago. Went for the tail, missed, and was rewarded with the trailing fly burying itself in my left index finger and a 19" bow swimming away! OWWWWEEE! Dropped the rod, got the tail with the right hand. Not much blood loss, but I still have the little hole!

Oh, and Lonefisher-I completely understood that your Ghandi/M. Teresa post was meant as a compliment to Brent and Greg,certainly not as an insult.

I had written this out, but then am grumpy and sick, so i thought i'd say what i really was thinking...

anyway:

My personal experience with netting compared to tailing. I used to lose more fish in one season at my feet, flies included (especially fishing 6x and size 20 and smaller flies, to fish over 20+ inchs) then i would in 3 seasons with my net. I can move swifter with my net, and have a much wider range then with my hands and rod. You don't need to lift the fish out of the water if you're careful, and if you're using a mesh instead of a knotted, the factor is minimal for difference.

ohh and toolman, before you start saying BS to this, how's the monster brown that you had well out of the water for a pic doing, the size alone of the fish and being out of the water, is not healthy for it, and somehow, i dont think using a net would even be close to the factor that holding a fish out of the water for unhealthyness.....ohh wait, he's probably dead cause he was out of the water..time to start following your own preachings...

not arguing anything..but there are plenty of pics of you and your buddies smeared all over this site of holding fish out of the water, well out of the water for that "perfect" picture...and in most cases, with a nice firm two handed grip...

Guest bigbadbrent

i never onced said i dont take pics of fish. My avatar is me with a fish, out of water.....no one would be fishing it if wasnt for the thrill of the big one, and i like to have records of what i do.....if i need to take a pic of a fish, i hold it in the water till my buddy has the camera ready to go, if the fish gets away before then, ohh well..I also only take pics of fish that are worth taking pics of..i've caught enough 18-20 inchers..but i'll take pics of a real pig, or something a bit different

I brought it up, because the way he was saying it came off that he doesnt do anything wrong..ever..oh wait..

If i was spouting off on how you shouldnt take pics of fish, and shouldnt be touched, i wouldnt be throwing pics up every so often....I rarely even take pics of my catches, unless they're worth taking pics of, and if the fish doesnt have the energy for it, they're going staying in the water, and not get a picture..i'll get a pic of it next time..

anyway, next topic, this one is done

I think that using a net (the good mesh net) and keeping the fish IN THE WATER while it's in the net getting unhooked, etc, is the least stressfull means of unhooking fish. Just get yourself a much bigger net....

Some advocate release of fish wihout nets, and I believe this is true up to a point with smaller, and even larger fish, that your not planning to photograph and don't care if they do end up getting off at your feet.

Any fish that you actually want a picture of, however, should be rested in the water, ina net until the camera is ready to go. Only then should the fish be lifted out, and only for about 5 seconds to snap the shot.

I've seen lots of guys wihout nets beat the shiznit out of fish trying to get pictures. Lots and lots. :(

I did end up getting a bigger net - a Fisknat San Juan net I found down at West Winds on the weekend. I've also since figured out how to dip the fish's head into the net and keep it in the water the whole time I'm landing it. With smaller fish, I just use a pair of Dr. Slick release clamps to get the fly out without netting the fish and barely even touching it.

Thanks to all that replied.