Fly Fusion Forums

Quest For Golden Trout Ii

Heimdallr

Last weekend I took someone very special to me to Barnaby Ridge for her first real hike. It may have been an unwise choice based on the asskicking nature of that particular hike, but it is a beautiful place and I wanted to take her there.

IMGP0428.jpg

IMGP0449.jpg

IMGP0450.jpg

IMGP0469.jpg

We drove down Friday evening and camped. We did the hike Saturday morning, stayed all day Sunday, and hiked out Monday morning. No rises or Goldens spotted on either the first or third lakes. The only place that seemed to have any flashes of amber brilliance was the second lake. I must say, once again, I didn't get into any fish. But I didn't do much fishing. This was planned as a fishing trip, but it was really more about making an honest attempt at something I desperately wanted.

IMGP0516.jpg

IMGP0486.jpg

IMGP0558.jpg

She is an amazingly warm person and everything I've ever looked for in a potential partner. Unfortunately, she has been hurt in the past, badly, and is scared to open herself up again. It is a constant struggle, but I am continually getting closer. That's what this trip was really about; showing her how happy I could make her.

IMGP0584.jpg

IMGP0590.jpg

After the trip I still don't know what will become of us and that's okay. Whatever the forces of this crazy universe are that move things to and fro I believe I am the master of my destiny. I believe she is worth all the effort in the world—so I will try and do everything in my power to make it happen. I won't let myself have anything to regret. And once again, fishing wasn't just about the fish.

IMGP0430.jpg

Sweet dude!! We may or may not be headed up there this coming weekend...

Have you been up there before? The water looks really low in that pic of the middle lake compared to when we were there in 2008.

I was there at the end of August last year, but only the first lake. The first lake looked the same as last year. I intend to make another drip (day trip this time) towards the end of August and actually focus on fishing the second lake. From what I observed if a guy hiked in some waders he'd do fine.

Awesome post!

My wife and I (and possibly two friends) are going to hike there this Satuday. It is a fitting time as that day is our 6 year wedding anniversary and on our honeymoon 6 years ago we flew into Michele Lakes on a quest for goldens. I also proposed to her at the 3rd lake of Picklejar Lakes and so we have seen some amazing places together and I am really excited about sharing this experience with her on that special day.

Thanks for that! Great post, dude!

I must admit I was a little concerned when I read this...

"She is an amazingly warm person and everything I've ever looked for in a potential partner. Unfortunately, she has been hurt in the past, badly, and is scared to open herself up again."

...then, I scrolled down to a pic of a canine!!! :eek: I was relieved to see a pic of your lady friend further down in the post. :thumbup:

Good luck with all that!