Fly Fusion Forums

Purdy Sexy Rainbow

jasonvilly

Met up with Hawgstoppah ( who by the way is an awesome guide and teacher) to try a southern river. Try and try as we might neither of us were having any luck. Fish were definitely not their normal selves. Did learn an awesome new "bow river hookset" but to not infringe on Hawgs proprietary name I have decided to call it "lippiercing extraordinaire hook set".

Anyway, with fishing a bit slow Hawg recommended a nearby lake, so away we went.

As soon as we walked up you could see tons of fish searching for food.......we looked at eachother and it was go time.

Threw in a stimmie, bang, gone! First one on. Put up a nice little fight and decided to wrap himself around a log.

Tried dries for a little longer, and nailed one more on purple cutty killer.

Switched to a boatmen. This was awesome I would throw it out and could still see it if I tossed it away from the sun. Stripped it in and could actually watch the fish follow and take the fly. Landed a couple this way. But then they were onto me in that spot so I decided to move over to where Brian was having some luck with damselflies.

We stayed there for a bit catching a few each. Now these fish weren't huge by any standards, but man did the little guys put a fight on. It was a ton of fun with the fight they put up.

We were both getting a bit hungry so decided to walk back, but Brian suggested we try for another 20 minutes (so glad we did this).

We were still sight fishing, calling out fish that were approaching our damselflies. Brian had seen the Hog earlier on in the morning, but here he was a again trolling around looking for something tasty to eat. I tossed my fly to a spot where I could see it and where I could see the rainbow approach.

Transcript:

Me: I think he is going for it

Brian: Nice

Me: come on, take it, take it , take it, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He took it!

Both: wooohoooo

He put on a great fight, Brian did a great job netting him and then we posed for a few pictures.

Anyway here is his picture, beautiful golden colored 21 inch rainbow. Definitely a chunky monkey.

Thanks again Brian for the day. Any of you out there looking for a great day on the water with an incredibly knowledgeable and fun individual, then I would highly recommend Hawgstoppah.

post-3792-1310416664.jpg

It was a lot of fun Jason! Thanks for the kind words!

That storm we barely beat into the vehicles at the end of the day was NUTS!!! I couldn't see 15 feet at times driving out to the highway.

Me either, when I hit he one curve the 100 km gust almost blew me off the road.