Fly Fusion Forums

Which Is Your Favorite Reel Maker?

Which Is Your Favorite Reel Maker?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Your Favorite Reel Maker?

• Sage
    • Orvis
    • G.Loomis
    • TFO
    • Hardy
    • Ross
    • Tibor
    • Islander
    • Abel
    • Lamson/Waterworks
    • Teton
    • Pflueger
    • Hatch
    • Galvan
    • Bauer
    • Redington
    • Sci Angler
    • Martin
    • Loop
    • Okuma
    • Amundson

I posted this poll a couple years ago...I thought it was time to update the list and try it again. Islander & Pfleuger came 1-2 last time.

I know I left out a few brands, but 20 choices should be enough for a lifetime.

Full disclosure I voted Waterworks. ;)

I voted Orvis. I bought two Battenkills in the 80's a 3/4 and a 5/6 and after hundreds and hundreds of days on the water each they still both work perfectly so I have never had to try another brand.

Yes, those reels were made by Hardy under contract to Orvis.

I voted for loop, as I have a opti creek and a opti mega loop, and love booth my reels, I also like the 3 hatch reels I have and the 1 Bauer reel (My bauer is probably the most durable as I have had it for three years now and never have I ever put any cork grease on it (Okay I lied when I take it into the fly shop they always shake their heads and ask me if I would like them to put some cork grease on it for me as they know I am too lazy to do it myself)

Loop does make good reels, I have 2 of their classics, very nice.

I voted for loop, as I have a opti creek and a opti mega loop, and love booth my reels, I also like the 3 hatch reels I have and the 1 Bauer reel (My bauer is probably the most durable as I have had it for three years now and never have I ever put any cork grease on it (Okay I lied when I take it into the fly shop they always shake their heads and ask me if I would like them to put some cork grease on it for me as they know I am too lazy to do it myself)

I've been running the Islanders on my small stream rods for the last 10 years and besides a clicker replacement, they are as good as new still. Fantastic and I am thinking about getting into one for my steelie gear too.

• 1 month later...

I voted Galvan. The drag is amazing and they are nicely machined. Tight specs. They'll fix/replace for you if you run it over accidentally. Followed closely by Bauer and Hatch. I do like my Islander and Abel reels, but I don't have as much faith in the cork. Nice drags but I like things to be rugged. Rugged wise, it would be Hatch then Bauer.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been running the Islanders on my small stream rods for the last 10 years and besides a clicker replacement, they are as good as new still. Fantastic and I am thinking about getting into one for my steelie gear too.

I have 3 islanders and had to have the clicker sprocket replace on one this summer. Took 4 weeks to get it back. Upset it took so long.