Fly Fusion Forums

Low Slope/flat Roof Repair & Replacement

my home of 6 months has a very low pitch roof that has an edpm membrane [or something like that] on it. it had some odd flashing details that didn't quite make sense to me [and i wanted to get addressed] but the purchase came along with a 2009 inspection report that said the roof was still solid.

well, i have a significant leak now [so much for inspections] and am getting quotes from contractors for 'repair' or replacement ranging from $16-50k. yes.

fifty thousand dollars.

like, but a real nice new vehicle and park it on your roof and never use it.

my suggested options have ranged from 'start over' to 'the original install was a 2 part edpm system and they only put the bottom layer on'. i've seen similar house roofs in town with everything shingles to tar/gravel to edpm, but have been told shingles 'not a wise choice' and so on.

so, i need some good expert advice and guidance.

like, yesterday.

anyone out there help me decide what gauge of shotgun to put in my mouth?

Holy crap,so no fishing trips this year eh?

For that price you could just build a new roof with a steeper pitch and shingle it.

Aviod the shot gun thing,i still want to fish in your boat.

Hopefully you can find the leak and get it fixed.

I thought I read that the previous home owner is still liable for this kind of repair.

You would have to think that if they did not disclose that there was a leak in the roof when they received your offer on the house that they should be liable. They must have known that it leaked. Did you find any signs of patching from the previous owner?

Have you looked in to a torched on roof? Not sure if you guys do that out West, bu it is the standard roofing finish on the low pitch in St. john's. It basicall a two layer roof of bitcumen/Asphalt sticky on one side that you heat up with tiger torchs and it sticks to your roof. Make sure you have a roofer with insurance as it wouldn't be the first time a house's roof has been caught fire by a roofer.

The average old house around here are tall with small footprints (30X30 or smaller), Friend of mine just had his house torched on roof replaced for under 3k.

Shingles are not water proof they are water sheding and not recommended on roof with less than a 4 on 12 pitch. They use to make low slope shingles but as far as I know they don't anymore.

Best of luck

Have you looked in to a torched on roof? Not sure if you guys do that out West, bu it is the standard roofing finish on the low pitch in St. john's. It basicall a two layer roof of bitcumen/Asphalt sticky on one side that you heat up with tiger torchs and it sticks to your roof. Make sure you have a roofer with insurance as it wouldn't be the first time a house's roof has been caught fire by a roofer.

The average old house around here are tall with small footprints (30X30 or smaller), Friend of mine just had his house torched on roof replaced for under 3k.

Shingles are not water proof they are water sheding and not recommended on roof with less than a 4 on 12 pitch. They use to make low slope shingles but as far as I know they don't anymore.

Best of luck

x2 for the torched on roof. I'm pretty sure I've seen some low slope roofs here with that application done to it. Don't use shingles or tar/gravel, it's crap from my experience and will only last 5 or so years (unless you do plan on selling the place in that time).

the story i got last night is this:

whoever redid the roof last time put down the bottom membrane only but not the top cap [asphalt layer]. and the skylights are hooped, which may in fact be the problem. the skylight dude was very informative.

the membrane may be saved, but still gonna cost a small fortune to install the new top cap layer and new skylights.

Get some legal advice while you are at it. You had an inspection and you only haved lived there for 9 months. I would at least see what your options are before you fork out a tonne of coin.

sure. good advice.

the former owner is awol.

in the last few months i have been visited by former business partners, revenue canada, a few ugly collections people and most recently by the cops.

pretty sure that's a dead avenue except to pay more lawyers.

i will tear a strip off the inspectors however:

-the waiver you sign when you have a home inspection relieves them of anything. the place i used were idiots. i will soon name them here.

- the 2 year old roof inspection report i got a copy of from the former owner? well, i spoke to the guy in novemeber prior to purchase[roof is good, at least 5-8 years good life, etc] and now he seems to have vanished too.

oh yeah. so when we had the big earlton fire here...insurance rates for flat roofers went thru the stratosphere. 75% of the companies that used to do that type of roof bailed. so...fewer competitors, higher prices, fewer choices.

let me know if you need to do the whole roof and not just the skylights. The company i work for sprays roofing foam and installs membrane and we can go over the old roof with very little removal. It's not cheep but it's not gonna cost a fortune and you'll add some insulation to the roof and the system we use is good for 50 yrs.