Fly Fusion Forums

Tropical Storm Humberto

reevesr1

I guess I should watch the news more often...

Looks like Tropical Storm Humberto, which could be Hurricane Humberto soon, is going to hit pretty close to my home town of Galveston tonite. Talked to my mom the other day (Monday?) and she didn't say anything about it. Wind not too bad, not a big tide surge, but 10" of rain typically gets your attention. Houston will be a big flooded mess. Man I don't miss those things!

Edit:

From Tropical depression to almost hurricane strength since 11 am this morning. Wow!

Is that not a yearly event for that area?

Starting to seem like it, but in the long run, no. I lived have lived on the Texas or Louisiana coasts for 30 of my 47 years. I have evacuated for storms once in that time, for Carla in 1963 (I think) and I was 3 yrs old, so don't remember it much. Now storms have hit the coast in that time, I just wasn't living where they hit. Strikes have been more often recently because we are on a major up cycle in number of storms. For reference, my parents have a house literally on the water, and have had it for 10 yrs now (maybe more). Never a spec of hurrincane damage in that time.

Hey Rick,

Check this one out, http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormspotli...007&storm=9

Some of the models have Humberto recurving back into the gulf. I've never seen anything like it and that comes from nine years in New Orleans, many hurricane close calls and ultimately surviving Katrina and four days in the aftermath.

Betsy did it way long time ago. Through the gulf coast somewhere, out through the Carolina's I think then back into the Gulf. Another one did it years ago as well. But the same type of way, out the Atlantic seaboard then back into the Gulf. Don't think I've ever seen a predicted path that goes in the Gulf coast, out the Gulf coast, then back into the coast. Forget the wind, think of the rain. Flood-o-rama!

By the way, I'd love to talk to you some day about Katrina. I've spoken to a couple of old friends from outside of NO, but no one who was actually there. Can't even imagine. Maybe we could get SJW involved, talk about Katrina, New Orleans, and make fun of Louisiana politics!