Fly Fusion Forums

Dry Fly Line

petti

Jayhad, i chuck streamers probably 85% of the time im on the water so i have a top knotch streamer line. the line in question will be strictly dry flies. i try to avoid nymphing, no offense to all the nymphers on the board i just find it boring...

thx Mike

I'm a pretty big fan of the Rio Trout LTs..... I think the DT is the way to go though, I fish the Trout LT on my 4wt 10' Z Axis and my 2wt 7'10" TXL, both didn't load very well with the WF unless I had 30' of line out, I've since switched to the DT and I find it's much more responsive at spring creek distances. BUT if I'm tossing drys on the Bow out of the boat I switch up to the WF as it casts MUCH better at 30'+ and it casts wya better with large drys

I just put some Snowbee EXDF XS-tra Distance Floating line on my bully/pike set up (8 wt) and I'm REALLY impressed! From what I understand it's made of PVC so it floats better (and last longer) then other lines - I've only had mine for a month, so I can't speak about it's longevity, but Colin (CDone) has had Snowbee lines on some of his reels for over 5 years and not even a crack and they still float as high as they did on day 1!!

I can only presume that their other lines are just as nice as they use similar materials & technology...

Here's the link of the Snowbee website http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-lines/.

You can contact Colin directly as he may let you test some lines out if you ask - he's the local prostaff rep.

Also, drop Courtney (Islandguy) a note he'll set you you up with a great deal!!

Peter

I'm a pretty big fan of the Rio Trout LTs..... I think the DT is the way to go though, I fish the Trout LT on my 4wt 10' Z Axis and my 2wt 7'10" TXL, both didn't load very well with the WF unless I had 30' of line out, I've since switched to the DT and I find it's much more responsive at spring creek distances. BUT if I'm tossing drys on the Bow out of the boat I switch up to the WF as it casts MUCH better at 30'+ and it casts wya better with large drys

Same here. I've been fishing one on my 9' 5wt since last summer and enjoy it but I have found two limitations to it. First, like jayhad said because it isn't WF with a thin running line it doesn't shoot as well if you're casting at distance. Second, because it has a presentation front taper it doesn't do as well with big foamy things, especially in the wind. If either of those are common situations for you, you might want to look at the Rio Gold instead.

I just put some Snowbee EXDF XS-tra Distance Floating line on my bully/pike set up (8 wt) and I'm REALLY impressed! From what I understand it's made of PVC so it floats better (and last longer) then other lines - I've only had mine for a month, so I can't speak about it's longevity, but Colin (CDone) has had Snowbee lines on some of his reels for over 5 years and not even a crack and they still float as high as they did on day 1!!

Airflo lines are also PVC. Having used both types I can't say I've noticed much difference, except that PVC sticks to the water more resulting in more "line ripping" when you lift it to cast. Great for a sustained anchor cast, not so good for size 20 dries.

Airflo lines are also PVC. Having used both types I can't say I've noticed much difference, except that PVC sticks to the water more resulting in more "line ripping" when you lift it to cast. Great for a sustained anchor cast, not so good for size 20 dries.

Actually I've found the complete opposite compared to other lines, higher floating equates to less line on the water, so less 'line ripping' when lifting.

There are plenty of lines out there, each has its pluses and minuses, its up to the buyer to decide which is best for them.

Colin

I like Cortland. The 444 peach. They call it something different now: classic or something similar. Hook and Hackle sells a version (relabeled) that is as good and pretty cheap.

Cortland Sylk is a great dry fly line as well. The old Sylk was a bit sticky, but I've heard they fixed that. Doesn't float super well, but a bit of grease fixes that. Not great for faster water.

Real silk is a great dry fly line, as well. Probably the best. Gives great line speed and turn over with a small diameter and a lot of delicacy. It is a bit of a hassle to use, though. You have to treat it before use, and it only floats well for a half day fishing, then needs drying. Lasts a lifetime, though, which is something no plastic line can claim. Silk lines really super charge your rod; everyone should try them, IMO.

There's one thing all the above have in common: they are soft/supple lines. Easier to throw tricky mends in and they move in the current better. I just don't like lines with any memory. I find it more fun to cast with a soft line, even though they don't shoot well.

If I were spooling a DF only reel, it would be silk, for sure. I am not a professional, and I don't mind tinkering with tackle when I get to the river. I suppose a client wouldn't be please having to watch a rising trout while I greased the line. They'd probably like casting it, though...