Fly Fusion Forums

Bankside Fires

What is the rule/law on this? I've seen a bunch this year, both in the city and outside. Fires inside the high water mark, right on the bank. Is it allowed? Doesn't seem people really try to clean them up afterwards, to put it mildly. I doubt (hope) it is not fishermen doing this, but could be I guess. Just curious.

What is there to clean up? They should definitely not be leaving any partially burned garbage around. But the ashes should be ok. It should just be properly extinguished before they leave. And with the fire ban now, any fire is a no no. I can't even barbecue this weekend in my backyard. Have to go get a gas bbcue I guess....:(

Inside the city limits, is definitely a no, not sure about outside - on Crown land I think it is ok, but again, not sure (I personally don't like them b/c they scar the land and when people cut down live trees and leave chard remains & garbage). Provincial park, outside of an official fire pit is a no, as well... Of course nothing during a ban!

I'm working (volunteering) with SRD tomorrow, I could ask if they can answer that question...

P

I've made the odd fire over the years on the bank of the river (outside of town). I never posed a fire risk when I did it. What about the overnight camping on islands?. Or when a freak snowstorm hits but the fishing is still good... haha.. one time I made a big fire and we fished all afternoon, warming up by a fire before making another pass through a run. fishing was fantastic but it was freekin cold... if we didn't make that fire we woulda been frozen.

Really? Is there nothing that doesn't rub the Calgary boys wrong? LMAO Just bugging you boys.

It is legal below the high water mark as well as all Crown land but also a gray area as there are many restrictions for open fires. For those that do it, as long as it is responsibly done, there are no issues. For us southern Alberta boys and girls, it's the only way to have a hot lunch on the river. I usually kick my remains into the creek so there's no problems and no "visual scarring".

For those that do it, as long as it is responsibly done, there are no issues.

I guess that's what I see the remnants of, the people who do it irresponsibly. I personally could care less really if there are only some charcoals left over. Unfortunately, I often see more than that. Not trying to take away anyone's rights here, I was just asking.

I guess that's what I see the remnants of, the people who do it irresponsibly. I personally could care less really if there are only some charcoals left over. Unfortunately, I often see more than that. Not trying to take away anyone's rights here, I was just asking.

Was fishing at the foot bridge in Douglasdale last year when some young 'uns decided to start a fire on the opposite side of the river. The firemen promptly showed up, extinguished it and confiscated their beverages. I would take that to mean it's illegal.

Was fishing at the foot bridge in Douglasdale last year when some young 'uns decided to start a fire on the opposite side of the river. The firemen promptly showed up, extinguished it and confiscated their beverages. I would take that to mean it's illegal.

Obviously they were youths from Douglaswoods.