Fly Fusion Forums

Hardy Reels

I was fishing a pothole lake last week, and snagged onto what I thought was weeds or a big stick. To my surprise I was hooked on to yellow fly line. As I pulled the line closer, I was able to take hold of the line by hand and then yarded in a fly rod, and reel!!! The reel is a Marquis #6 with the bottom of the reel saying "Made by Hardy Bros Ltd. England.

For the most part it is intact, just a little rusty from being in the water. Wondering if anyone can tell me any info on this find?? Not sure if this is an expensive style reel or what? Any information would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Cgyguy

The Marquis was a well made, mid priced reel produced from about 1970 to 2000 and was very popular. Parts are readily available from Hardy. See them on Ebay alot with prices $100 to $250.

Mike

It isn't a very expensive reel (maybe $100-150) but it's a damn good one. I have a Marquis that sees fairly regular use on the Bow and has also been used on rainbows in Alaska. I don't have any attachment to any of my reels other than my Hardys.

If it is like my old marquis #7 reel, you have yourself an excellent reel. Mine was finally just retired this year, after over 20 years of superb service. They are simple, well constructed reels which last a long time if you take good care of them.