Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing License (over 65 Yrs.)

jnovlan

:rulzz: I was told by a cashier at BassPro that since I am now 65 years of age I do not require a license but I will need a current WIN Card and I must carry it with me. Since I am a newbie to the 'senior rank', I am looking for info regarding this matter. I will continue to look through the regulations, but so far, I have not found anything other than 'No License required'. Please assist an 'Older Fellow'.

Thanks.

:rulzz: I was told by a cashier at BassPro that since I am now 65 years of age I do not require a license but I will need a current WIN Card and I must carry it with me. Since I am a newbie to the 'senior rank', I am looking for info regarding this matter. I will continue to look through the regulations, but so far, I have not found anything other than 'No License required'. Please assist an 'Older Fellow'.

Thanks.

No WIN is required if you are 65 or older.

The regulations are perhaps a little confusing but if you look on page 14 of the regs, just above the fee schedule you will see that it say's "to buy a license, you must have a WIN".

Seeing as you do not have to buy a license, you do not need a WIN.

From mywildalberta.com

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/FAQ/WinCards.aspx#q8

Do youths (less than 16 years of age) and seniors (greater than 64 years of age) need a WIN card to fish?

No. Since regulations do not require youths under 16 years of age, seniors age 65 and older who are Alberta residents, and First Nations people to have a sport fishing licence for fishing, they do not need to purchase a WIN card.

As others have stated, no WIN card is required. For that matter, even if you are under 65, you only need a current WIN card when you are buying your license. The WIN card could expire the next day, but you're good until the next year, when you buy another license. For the 65 and older crowd, if you are checked by a CO, you will need picture ID that shows your age -- e.g. a drivers license. I know that from experience. Terry

As others have stated, no WIN card is required. For that matter, even if you are under 65, you only need a current WIN card when you are buying your license. The WIN card could expire the next day, but you're good until the next year, when you buy another license. For the 65 and older crowd, if you are checked by a CO, you will need picture ID that shows your age -- e.g. a drivers license. I know that from experience. Terry

I wonder if they would accept a photocopy and a promise to produce the original if necessary. I personally carry WIN card and licence in my vest and leave my operators licence alsewhere. Isn't that what most people do?

What I meant was that if you're 65 or older, and don't have a license, you need some ID that will prove who you are and that you're 65 or older. If you're under 65 and have a license, I would guess that's all you need. A WIN card doesn't count for much, since on the river, there's no way to tell if it has expired or not.

I wonder if they would accept a photocopy and a promise to produce the original if necessary. I personally carry WIN card and licence in my vest and leave my operators licence alsewhere. Isn't that what most people do?

I was told by a CO that they don't have to accept photocopies of anything.

When I'm fishing I always carry my drivers license.

I also carry my credit cards & cash with me. I don't leave that kind of stuff in my vehicle.

A friend of mine who used to leave his wallet concealed somewhere in his vehicle while fishing, found out the hard way, that that is not a good idea.

I was told by a CO that they don't have to accept photocopies of anything.

When I'm fishing I always carry my drivers license.

I also carry my credit cards & cash with me. I don't leave that kind of stuff in my vehicle.

A friend of mine who used to leave his wallet concealed somewhere in his vehicle while fishing, found out the hard way, that that is not a good idea.

Probably good advice. I don't know why I don't bring my wallet. I lose so many flyboxes I'm afraid my wallet will fall out too!!

. I'll have to remind my senile senior fishing buddy to bring his licence wth him.

I always thought the license's were used as a management tool for fisheries ( i.e how many anglers are out there). As our population ages would it not make sense for persons over 65 to at least have a valid WIN card so the government has an idea of how many anglers (of all ages) are on the water. The Federal Gov does it with saltwater licenses, under 16 and over 65 are free but you still need to go through the process of the license as well as purchase any required stamps.

Colin

I always thought the license's were used as a management tool for fisheries ( i.e how many anglers are out there). As our population ages would it not make sense for persons over 65 to at least have a valid WIN card so the government has an idea of how many anglers (of all ages) are on the water. The Federal Gov does it with saltwater licenses, under 16 and over 65 are free but you still need to go through the process of the license as well as purchase any required stamps.

Colin

I agree with you 100%. I think everyone should be required to have a license and a WIN card, for the reasons you state. If the government feels they should give us old farts a financial break (not arguing that it is necessary or desirable), then reduce the price if you're over 65. That's what BC does. An annual geezer fishing license is $5.00. Terry

I agree with you 100%. I think everyone should be required to have a license and a WIN card, for the reasons you state. If the government feels they should give us old farts a financial break (not arguing that it is necessary or desirable), then reduce the price if you're over 65. That's what BC does. An annual geezer fishing license is $5.00. Terry

Sure, as long as we can do it online.

Who TFC's about $5?

MrBotangles, I used to do the same. The only time in my life that a CO checked me, I was on the far side of Wabamun Lake. I happily produced my license and he says, "How do I know this is your fishing license? Picture ID please." It was a very long paddle back to the car.

MrBotangles, I used to do the same. The only time in my life that a CO checked me, I was on the far side of Wabamun Lake. I happily produced my license and he says, "How do I know this is your fishing license? Picture ID please." It was a very long paddle back to the car.

Tho i'm always legal, I've never been checked here in Alberta - I've seen the SRD trucks around but have never spoken to a CO. I've always got my wallet on me but generally leave my license in the car, but will have it on me from now on... Never thought of having picture ID on me.