Fly Fusion Forums

Temple Fork Ticr 5wt

I have previously owned a TiCr 9' 6wt.

What are you going to use it for?! What is the exp. of the angler?!

In my opinion, the TiCr's are a decent rod for a beginner or as a loaner rod. The obvious advantage is that the distribution centre is in Calgary so if you break a section it is an easy process to have it replaced... Also, they are readily available used, (though the MSRP is decent enough) but that may tell you something if you see a lot of them used on kijiji, etc.

For an experienced angler I think there are some better options available. That being said, if you are looking at purchasing one, line up a few rods rods different manufacturers within the same price point and cast them side by side, it may in fact work well for you...

I you are set on a TFO, a better option may be the new TFO BVK - heard/read some good things about that one, though I have no 1st hand exp. with it, nor am I affiliated with TFO in anyway (an important consideration when people give opinions on various rods on here ;))

Again, this is just my opinion!!

P

I tried one, along with a whole selection of other 9', 5 weight rods. I found the action to be strange. Whippy tip with stiff butt section, almost like there was a hinge. I decided on a Sage VT2, which felt much smoother and can throw tight loops. I have a 4 wt. TFO signature series, which I like more.

Paul

I have one and have caught lots of fish with it. It's a good powerful fast rod that casts nicely, but it's very tip heavy. So you need a heavy reel to balance it which will make it feel like a 7 or 8 weight combo, or if you don't have it balanced it will strain your wrist all day.

fast action takes a more line than other rods in that wt to properly load the tip. I fish with a 6wt ticr i LOVE them but thats just cuz it's what im used to suits my casting style that said ive fished with a buddies sage and i didn't exactly hate that either

I you are set on a TFO, a better option may be the new TFO BVK - heard/read some good things about that one, though I have no 1st hand exp. with it, nor am I affiliated with TFO in anyway (an important consideration when people give opinions on various rods on here ;))

Compared to the other TFO models of which I am not particularily fond of, this one is quite nice in the hand. Feels like a 5wt (or 6, 7, 8...) should. Tempted to pull the trigger on the 9wt if I reconsider on a shorter Loomis or Redington.

I used one of those, same wt and length for 2 years and liked it - any intermediate rod will cast with accuracy and resonable distance if you put some time in though - I'd call it a great beginner rod but once you regularly cast a high-end rod it will feel inferior though. I often hand that one to first-timers if I want to focus on getting them into a fish rather perfecting a technique - I find it mates well with the Okuma 5-6 SLV fully agreeing with f-pro's input on getting the balance right, thos skinny little martins and such are too light