Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Brookies

Hi, as posted before I'm new to the Calgary area. I have a young nephew who wants to come out with me. Is there any small streams or rivers here that are pretty decent for brookies and small rainbows? I'd like to take him out to some spots where he can just hook up on something, and I don't really care how big they are, just want him to hook up and stay interested. Not looking for anything too specific just a suggestions on where to start. I'd take him out on the Bow but thats just too frustrating for me at times let alone a kid.

Pay no attention to Weedy, he apparently overdosed on smartass pills or the bluebird of happiness pooped on his bald spot, either or....

Plenty of brook trout streams around, unfortunately more than there were 20 yrs ago. How far you want to drive and how soon?

Pay no attention to Weedy, he apparently overdosed on smartass pills or the bluebird of happiness pooped on his bald spot, either or....

Plenty of brook trout streams around, unfortunately more than there were 20 yrs ago. How far you want to drive and how soon?

Hoping not to drive too far and as for when, who knows. I have to coordinate with his parents and thier schedules. Probably later in the spring and into the summer once the water comes down. They live in Cochrane so anything within an hour from there would be great.

You might want to consider Lorette Pond in Kananskis once it gets stocked. I know others that take their youngsters there to get a 'fishing experience'. It isn't river fishing but can get a young boy 'hooked' on fishing.

Some pretty good suggestions above. Also may help to pickup a copy of Barry Mitchell's - Alberta Fishing Guide. It'll gives you a fairly accurate breakdown on the streams local to you.

Some pretty good suggestions above. Also may help to pickup a copy of Barry Mitchell's - Alberta Fishing Guide. It'll gives you a fairly accurate breakdown on the streams local to you.

I've got the fishing guide, but some of those descriptions haven't changed since I was a kid 20 years ago so I'm a bit sceptical. Thanks though.