Fly Fusion Forums

Have We Gone Way Past Silly?

Folks,

Count 'em. I did. Cabellas stocks 88 types of fly lines. 88 for God sakes. And that doesn't include all that are manufactured.

I know about choice but this is just plain ridiculous.

And there are experts out there that can quote chapter and verse which on is best. God, a fly line that I use a lot lasts about 3 years * 88 means I get exposed to them all about 264 years from now providing of course that the number stops @ 88.

And just think, in 264+ years, I can quote chapter and verse.

Damn, but getting old is looking better and better.

Don

Yeah I know Don but I think the need for more and better is hardwired in the Beast. Do you and I really need 30-40-50 different fly rods and can we fish them all or even want to fish them all in a single season?

God, a fly line that I use a lot lasts about 3 years *

Don

And that is the problem. The industry needs people to buy lines far more often than every three years. So to do that need to convince you that you need the latest and greatest. That or something more specialized. Same with rods, reels, leaders, you name it.

I haven't really done this with fishing, but back when I golfed a ton I would almost always buy clubs that were 1-2 yrs old. Top of the line, but from a couple of seasons ago. I took full advantage of the people who always had to have the latest and greatest. I was good enough to know that the latest and greatest from 2 yrs ago was more than adequate for me. The golf industry, like the fishing industry, does everything it can to convince golfers they NEED to have the newest. And enough people worship at that altar to keep the industry humming along.

i must be abusive my lines last one season some times less. I fished Idaho this year and the Lava rock bottoms on their rivers DESTROYED! my lines i hope with so many on the market it drives the prices down. Im a big beliver in a good line presentation is key i do have my favorites so i rarely deviate from what i know.

Taco,

Nope don't need 50 fly rods - gotta do an inventory again. Things might be getting outta hand there too! Only stock one kind of dry line - Cortland 444 peach. That brand has been around about as long as I have. Get 3 years outta it.

And Rick - tried chasing the newest and greatest in 1970's realized that the rod manufactures were just as confused as I. Gave it up. Sold one of the original Sages and still got a 1975 Fenwick graphite. First year they were brought out.

But that all begs the questions: How come so much crap out there and do we really need it.

Made an offer to a friend. Kinda like Alcohol's Anonymous. In this case, every time your go to buy some idiot junk. you call your sponsor and he talks you out of it. The money saved could be used for gasoline!!!

catch ya'

Don