Fly Fusion Forums

5wt On The Bow?

I was just wondering if a 5wt is sufficient for the Bow? I currently have a 9' 6wt that I have been using, but I am looking to upgrade to a different rod that is a 9' 5wt. Just want to know if this is enough weight for the Bow or if I would be better off spending my money on a heavier rod? I already have a 4wt I use for the Liv and Crow, thanks for any help.

A 9' 5 wt is my primary nymphing rod for the "summer" season (I can cast 3 fly rigs just fine with it). Though I'm one of the nuts on here that brings a quiver with me - 4 wt for dries, 5 wt for nymphing and 6 wt for streamers...

A 4 and 6 would probably work for you, but then again, many on here use 10' 5 wts which is perfect for nymphing on the Bow...

Of course, this is my opinion/preference...

P

Guest JayVee

If you're wondering if a 5wt will handle our big Bow River fish, there'll be no problem with that. I caught my biggest Brown, 27", on my 5wt and had no problem landing it. Lot's of guys here have caught huge fish on 2 and 3wts. Personally, I prefer to cast weighted rigs with my 7wt but if you ask 10 guys their opinions on that you'll likely get 10 different answers, none of them wrong. There was a recent lively debate here discussing just that. Either way, enjoy your new rod.

One thing to remember is the action you get ,fast or slow.A fast 5 can feel stiffer then a soft 6 to some people.Myself if its not windy a slow-med 5wt with a double taper line(thx to Mikey from Southbow) is my most accurate rod.If its windy and i want to chuck some weight then a fast 5 is what i reach for.