Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Here Dealing With Sciatica

Broke my back in my teens, just a stupid kid took a dare when downhill skiing. Undiagnosed for 10 years if you can believe that and suffered for those 10 years.

Anyhow, suffered big time with sciatica for years but when I started seeing a chiro, it became manageable. Suffer pain, go see the chiro.

However, this last round doesn't stem from my back at all, it's an aggravated sciatic nerve deep in my left ass cheek under the hip bone and there's nothing that can really be done with it according to the chiro. Hits hard and heavy when i'm out flyfishing - spent most of my 2 weeks in banff last year flyfishing from my knees cause it was less painful...

If there's anyone else dealing with this sort of sciatica, is there anything that helps? I was going to hit the bow today but my left glut was telling me no.

Broke my back in my teens, just a stupid kid took a dare when downhill skiing. Undiagnosed for 10 years if you can believe that and suffered for those 10 years.

Anyhow, suffered big time with sciatica for years but when I started seeing a chiro, it became manageable. Suffer pain, go see the chiro.

However, this last round doesn't stem from my back at all, it's an aggravated sciatic nerve deep in my left ass cheek under the hip bone and there's nothing that can really be done with it according to the chiro. Hits hard and heavy when i'm out flyfishing - spent most of my 2 weeks in banff last year flyfishing from my knees cause it was less painful...

If there's anyone else dealing with this sort of sciatica, is there anything that helps? I was going to hit the bow today but my left glut was telling me no.

I suffer the same thing got speared in the back while playing football in college. I go monthly to a chiropractor and use an inversion table(Costco sells them) a couple of times a month. I will not take any medication for the pain. It is constant, but at times the sciatica nerve just get so bad it puts me to my knees. There is a new back pain clinic out in Edmonton there maybe one in your city as well. Supposedly they do miracles with no surgery. The wife is always after me to go there, and one day I will.

I feel your pain and I wouldn't wish full blown sciatica on my worst enemy - used to feel like my whole leg was held in a fire - there is no med that'll help it, i've been to the point where i've gone to the hospital and asked to be put out with morphine or demerol just so I could get a night of sleep. That was when the source of my sciatica was in my lower back.

This is different and nowhere near as bad as i've had. The pain is manageable but just a royal pain in the arse (pardon the pun) and pain shows up in weird spots down my leg. Maybe a big toe, knee, shin, no rhyme or reason.

Hard to flyfish when i'm on my knees, drives me insane but it's the only way to alleviate sometimes. Thank god it's not constant anymore.

Fought it for yrs. Non-surgically, improving your core strength will help the most but in my case I finally had to get a ruptured disc removed. Been pretty good since.

Fought it for yrs. Non-surgically, improving your core strength will help the most but in my case I finally had to get a ruptured disc removed. Been pretty good since.

4 years this august............................herniated disc..........L4L5.

Did physio, chiro, decompression, bought inversion table nothing worked to get rid of sciatica and low back pain.

I see a surgeon on thursday and am pleading for the surgery to remove the disc as I know what you go through and it is not fun!!!!!!

Just recently turned 40 and teach Phys.ed (yikes)........................need some closure on this soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 years this august............................herniated disc..........L4L5.

Did physio, chiro, decompression, bought inversion table nothing worked to get rid of sciatica and low back pain.

I see a surgeon on thursday and am pleading for the surgery to remove the disc as I know what you go through and it is not fun!!!!!!

Just recently turned 40 and teach Phys.ed (yikes)........................need some closure on this soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exact same for me.. i've been putting it off for two months and finally went for a physio appt. The biggest piece of advice the lady gave me was to try and not sit for extended periods of time... Pretty difficult thing to accomplish being a student. The pain is bearable in the day, but i haven't slept a full night in a month easy. I walk like a 50 year old guy with a mean case of the gout... I can't wait to get old....

I had a case of sciatica 2 years ago when working up north. LOTS of stretching, combined with massage, accupuncture and yoga (more stretching), worked for me. Also, began managing the type of work I do so as to not aggrevate it. Other friends who have had it had different treatments (surgery, etc.), and in the end its whatever one thing or combo of things that work best. Anything is worth a shot to help the pain go away.

There are certain places around town (Advanced Spinal Care at Holy Cross Site is one. But $$$) that offer what is called "Prolotherapy". In reading up on it, it is sugar water injected at certain sites in your body to help nerve regeneration. Although nerves regenerate at a very slow rate of about 1mm a month, some find relief, some don't. Also, newer age clinics offer "Laser Therapy". Some Chronic Pain patients experience remarked reduction of pain in as little as a few sessions.

I will say I haven't been through any of this but I do have a significant other who is also suffering due to an MVA. Most people with back pain as I have, learn to live with it. But, it' not an easy life. Mine is tolerable for the most part but when I need an adjustment, I make my way to my back cracker. Sad to see so many people suffering. My thoughts to all of you for a pain free day!

Cheers....FHD

Ahhhhh, Sciatica, my old friend. How I loathe thee.

Blew a disc in my back about nine years ago (L1S1) that had been surgically repaired in Feb of '02. Still have back pain to this day. Rarely a day that I wake up without back pain. Had a real bad flare up about two years ago after wiping out HARD during a hockey game and slamming back first into the boards. Try to stretch as much as possible now, visit a Chiropractor once a month to keep in check. A combination of Physio and Chiro fixed me up last time. But, like you Robert, I get the pinch in my left ass cheek once in a while. Not even close to what it used to be, but annoying none the less. My massage therapist gave me a stretch that seems to work really well in stretching the glute. Hurts a lot, but it sure feels better after. lol

Sciatica is something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Without knowing a great deal about sciatica I would say give acupuncture a shot. Like tightline said some serious stretching combined with acupuncture might produce some results.

Being a carpenter and all around self abuser I have had some great results from both acupuncture and yoga. Chiro is great and I am behind it but you absolutely have to make it part of your regular routine whereas I found acupuncture better for acute symptoms and sometimes only a few treatments will do the trick. It's nerve-wracking for sure the first time you go but not nearly as bad as you may imagine.

Good luck.

I have been through a lot and what works for one may not for others. The (prolo) will not work for me based on info from my doctor and chiropractor (friend). Getting close to 4 years as the surgeons will advise to try everything prior to the knife. I understand this.

The research I have read shows a good percentage recover from the physio, chiro, etc. hence, doctors don't push the surgery. However, the surgery sucess rate seems to be 90!!!!! Looking forward to this thursday with my surgeon as it is an important day in my life. Please take out my herniated disc!!!!!!!!!

My massage therapist gave me a stretch that seems to work really well in stretching the glute. Hurts a lot, but it sure feels better after. lol

Don't mind the hurt if it helps... can you share that stretch with me? either explain it or if you have a diag. hoping it's something i haven't tried cause i've been putting myself into pretzel shape trying to be rid of this. Just laying down in the wrong position causes it to flare up.

The sciatic pain i'm feeling now is nothing compared to what it used to be when it was caused from my back, I never want to experience that pain ever again. Ass cheek sciatica? annoying is a good word for it, not debilitating but hindering.

I have been in pain for awhile now and have been going to physio for 4-5 times a week to try and straighten things out with the nerve. They did an mri a few months ago and found out I had a bulging disc that was on the verge of rupturing. Just last week my physiotherapist made a request to my family doc to have me talk to a surgeon about having the disc removed. I am hoping I will be able to get in to see them right away so I can get into surgery pretty soon and get back to work. My boss has made it very clear that I will have to stay at home until I can get it fully fixed and back to 100% I am only 27 but have been dealing with back pain since I was about 12. I am very frustrated that it has taken this long to diagnose the problem but am also happy that there could be an end to it all in the near future. I have had it where I can't even lift my legs and have to crawl to the bathroom. I don't know if surgery is the best option but I can't sit around going to physio and not be able to work for a year or more trying to get this injury to heal and I think the physio lady said my back is far to unstable and been injured for far to long for it to heal on its own anymore.

I feel everyones pain and I just hope I don't need a cathider.

Nate

I have been in pain for awhile now and have been going to physio for 4-5 times a week to try and straighten things out with the nerve. They did an mri a few months ago and found out I had a bulging disc that was on the verge of rupturing. Just last week my physiotherapist made a request to my family doc to have me talk to a surgeon about having the disc removed. I am hoping I will be able to get in to see them right away so I can get into surgery pretty soon and get back to work. My boss has made it very clear that I will have to stay at home until I can get it fully fixed and back to 100% I am only 27 but have been dealing with back pain since I was about 12. I am very frustrated that it has taken this long to diagnose the problem but am also happy that there could be an end to it all in the near future. I have had it where I can't even lift my legs and have to crawl to the bathroom. I don't know if surgery is the best option but I can't sit around going to physio and not be able to work for a year or more trying to get this injury to heal and I think the physio lady said my back is far to unstable and been injured for far to long for it to heal on its own anymore.

I feel everyones pain and I just hope I don't need a cathider.

Nate

Sounds similar to my story -- skiing accident at 15, broke the pars holding together L4 and L5, undiagnosed for 10 years. Between the muscle spasms and sciatica (didn't know it was sciatica, just pain) I couldn't walk for the better part of a yaer. Docs back in newfie told me the pain was all in my head and my mother should take me to a shrink. Docs on the mainland over the years offered to replace my hip thinking the problem was there, others wanted to open me up for a look. A chiro in Toronto 10 years later sent me for x-rays and measured 11 millimeters of slippage (big pain and couldn't walk at the time) between the vertebrae. I sat down and bawled when he told me that in 2 weeks i'd be walking tall and pain free again - he was right. Dr. David Gryfe, i'll never forget that name and last year (14 years later) I called him just to say thanks again, the man saved my life. I've been very lucky since then, quick adjustments here and there when things get out of line and i'm good to go til the next time.

For anyone that continues to suffer with back pain, I sympathize. I'm not 100% but i'm damn lucky.

Sounds similar to my story -- skiing accident at 15, broke the pars holding together L4 and L5, undiagnosed for 10 years. Between the muscle spasms and sciatica (didn't know it was sciatica, just pain) I couldn't walk for the better part of a yaer. Docs back in newfie told me the pain was all in my head and my mother should take me to a shrink. Docs on the mainland over the years offered to replace my hip thinking the problem was there, others wanted to open me up for a look. A chiro in Toronto 10 years later sent me for x-rays and measured 11 millimeters of slippage (big pain and couldn't walk at the time) between the vertebrae. I sat down and bawled when he told me that in 2 weeks i'd be walking tall and pain free again - he was right. Dr. David Gryfe, i'll never forget that name and last year (14 years later) I called him just to say thanks again, the man saved my life. I've been very lucky since then, quick adjustments here and there when things get out of line and i'm good to go til the next time.

For anyone that continues to suffer with back pain, I sympathize. I'm not 100% but i'm damn lucky.

Lots of cases of people being cured by herbals and voodoo, chiro, physio and pills/injections and surgery, and lots more cases that aren't. Lucky for you that whatever the chiro did helped with you back pain, but that doesnt necessarily mean everyone else was wrong or that what he said was right. Pain is a complex issue and nearly impossible to solve in some cases, and can be strongly influenced by bio/psycho/social factors. Placebo has been found to be very effective in most studies of sciatica/lumbosacral radiculopathy. there still hasn't been any great evidence for any modalities, but there is obvious benefits of some over others, and sciatica remains a difficult problem for many, as evidenced by the replies here.

One thing everyone should know is that the vast majority of sciatica resolves on its own, and is not necessarily a life long issue to deal with. Unfortunately for a minority it does become a chronic problem, and like most chronic pathologies/pain syndromes are very complex and difficult to manage.

Lots of cases of people being cured by herbals and voodoo, chiro, physio and pills/injections and surgery, and lots more cases that aren't. Lucky for you that whatever the chiro did helped with you back pain, but that doesnt necessarily mean everyone else was wrong or that what he said was right. Pain is a complex issue and nearly impossible to solve in some cases, and can be strongly influenced by bio/psycho/social factors. Placebo has been found to be very effective in most studies of sciatica/lumbosacral radiculopathy. there still hasn't been any great evidence for any modalities, but there is obvious benefits of some over others, and sciatica remains a difficult problem for many, as evidenced by the replies here.

One thing everyone should know is that the vast majority of sciatica resolves on its own, and is not necessarily a life long issue to deal with. Unfortunately for a minority it does become a chronic problem, and like most chronic pathologies/pain syndromes are very complex and difficult to manage.

After people deal with immense pain for so long, their tolerance for pain goes up. I've broken toes over the years, tape it up and walk it off - no other pain i've suffered over the years compares to sciatica. Guess cured was the wrong word, I wound up with conditions called Spondylolisthesis, spondylolysis and lumbar stenosis - there is no cure but in my case it's manageable. Many with these conditions end up in wheelchairs, i'm still walking strong. Keep the back muscles strong, see a chiro once in a while and i'm as good as i get. Dragging my arse out of bed in the morning is sometimes a chore, few stretches and i'm ready for work. I am one of the lucky ones.

I haven't taken any kinds of prescription meds in 20 years, refuse to. I don't do voodoo, nor herbal - but I do believe in a good chiro. There's alot of bad ones out there and they can do some damage - been there, done that. But there's others that will work magic - and again, I got lucky with meeting the chiro that I did. If he was a crap chiro, i'd be in the same pain as I was when I was 15 and probably swinging from a rafter by now.

I started this thread looking for ideas that may help, not looking for a miracle here but just something that works for others when i'm out flyfishing. Some kind of a stretch or something. Sitting on my arse flicking a fly works but it's hardly a great way to fish :)

After people deal with immense pain for so long, their tolerance for pain goes up. I've broken toes over the years, tape it up and walk it off - no other pain i've suffered over the years compares to sciatica. Guess cured was the wrong word, I wound up with conditions called Spondylolisthesis, spondylolysis and lumbar stenosis - there is no cure but in my case it's manageable. Many with these conditions end up in wheelchairs, i'm still walking strong. Keep the back muscles strong, see a chiro once in a while and i'm as good as i get. Dragging my arse out of bed in the morning is sometimes a chore, few stretches and i'm ready for work. I am one of the lucky ones.

I haven't taken any kinds of prescription meds in 20 years, refuse to. I don't do voodoo, nor herbal - but I do believe in a good chiro. There's alot of bad ones out there and they can do some damage - been there, done that. But there's others that will work magic - and again, I got lucky with meeting the chiro that I did. If he was a crap chiro, i'd be in the same pain as I was when I was 15 and probably swinging from a rafter by now.

I started this thread looking for ideas that may help, not looking for a miracle here but just something that works for others when i'm out flyfishing. Some kind of a stretch or something. Sitting on my arse flicking a fly works but it's hardly a great way to fish :)

I would give the inversion table a try. Mine can KEEP ME GOING when times are really bad, but alas, it will not work enough for the disc to pull back in. Check kijji etc.

prone pushups, knees to chest............................I am sure you heard them all.

Robert - I used to have mild sciatica...and when I feel it starting to flare a bit, here's what I do. It's a twist between an yoga move and a post-cardio stretching exercise. Sit down on the ground and put both legs out front. Whichever side the sciatic pain is on, cross that leg over the other leg as much as it will cross (you're trying to get your foot as close to the opposite shoulder as you can). Lie back flat on the ground with the opposite knee raised now supporting the crossed-over leg and press lightly with quick pushes of pressure down on the knee that is crossed. It's ideal to get someone else to do it - you can tell him to press harder or longer as you feel the "pull"....and eventually your knee will make it's way lower and lower to the floor if you can tolerate it. It's painful, but I call it a good pain - it feels amazing to stretch it and after the "burn" wears off in a day or so, the sciatic pain is gone. Sometimes I will turn to the side I'm crossed to and that works the stretch a different way.

Hope I explained that clear...just typed it as I saw it in my head and sometimes that *hit doesn't make sense lol

I have had spells where I could not get out of bed without someone helping. My first experience my other half ..moved a mattress onto the floor in the living room and that is where I stayed for 3 days- getting up was extreme agony- missed Troutlovers wedding because of it!!!. Doctors did not help I went to a chiropractor and was getting around in 2 days. My chiropractor gave me hell for having my wallet in a back pocket - I have carried it in my front pocket since then..also stretches.. as someone stated earlier. The one thing I discovered is that ..believe it or not..golfing helps bigtime to alleviate this condition..at least in my case it does!!getting off ones arse and walking also helps..even though it can be painfull to do!

Lynn, i'll definitely try that.

Kipper, thanks for the reminder. My chiro gave me hell about it too, keep forgetting about the 1 1/2" wedge in my ass pocket. Long drives are killer when I forget to take it out, immediate relief when I do.

Most of this is my own fault anyhow, need to get the body into better shape.