Fly Fusion Forums

Washing Machine Drain Plugged

I'm looking for some advice...

I came downstairs to check on my laundry and found that my drainage pipe was clogged for my washing machine and the water was backing up all over my floor.

I thought it would be an easy fix, but after doing a bit of research I read that using a snake is a quick fix and will only poke a hole in the clog, and that it will be a reoccuring problem and to avoid using chemicals.

Does anyone have any other suggestions without calling in a plumber, or should I go buy a snake and give that a go?

Thanks,

Mitch

Buy a snake you will most likely use it again. Get one that is at least 15' and that connects onto a hand drill, also you might be able to get one that you can change the heads (not sure but I think you can)!! A roto rooter guy will cost you about $100.

P

Agree with Don .. be careful.

My experience with these things is that hiring a guy at $100 is often less expensive than DIY. Ask me about the front door window I was checking for leaks in January.... Ooops....crash ... $210 later..replaced window... :P

Din,

A snake that will go around corners is the type you need. That means it is small. None of the 2" stuff required. About a 1/2" end is about right.

And if it plugs now. it will again. Something is protruding into the water flow that is catching lint. Maybe the cheapest fix is get it replaced.

But like Clive says - sometimes the folks that are pro @ the job is better/cheaper.

Don

Ahhh yes. Good call. I forgot about that, it's still under a year.

Thanks Chris.

Din,

Is your house not under a year old? If it is I would get a plumber in and he can tell you if it was installed wrong then you can go back to your builder.

Good luck with that, I've heard horror stories... Make sure you document everything and get the names and specific contact info of EVERYONE that you speak with! Builders seem to shun their responsibilities and new home warrantee is an unbelievable bureaucracy. No personal exp. , but again this is what I've heard...

P

Ahhh yes. Good call. I forgot about that, it's still under a year.

Thanks Chris.

............. Ask me about the front door window I was checking for leaks in January.... Ooops....crash ... $210 later..replaced window... :P

Hey Clive, isn't there a TV program about DIY guys like you? :lol: Terry

if your laundry drain is plugged, then i would first try sulfuric acid. it is available at most cheapo depot plumbing departments, it eats thru every thing. but be carefull it is very corrosive and stinks like crazy, it also reacts violently with water.let the drain empty out slowly, pour it in the drain, the whole bottle and cover the end of the drain for the fumes, leave for 1/2 hour and then flush with cold water. turns chrome and stainless steel black. be careful with this stuff. 20 bucks is cheaper than having a plumber like me come for a vist! haha

Is this safe to use on PVC pipes??

if your laundry drain is plugged, then i would first try sulfuric acid. it is available at most cheapo depot plumbing departments, it eats thru every thing. but be carefull it is very corrosive and stinks like crazy, it also reacts violently with water.let the drain empty out slowly, pour it in the drain, the whole bottle and cover the end of the drain for the fumes, leave for 1/2 hour and then flush with cold water. turns chrome and stainless steel black. be careful with this stuff. 20 bucks is cheaper than having a plumber like me come for a vist! haha