Fly Fusion Forums

Entry Fee For Canadians

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

whats the damage? i heard a bit of this on the radio but i missed the price.

on a side note. if you are really excited to be scanned through the cool new X-ray machine at the airport they pass you through to a regular scanner or was it because im white....any ways thanks LAX for the 30 second trip through security when every one else was 20min with no AC

whats the damage? i heard a bit of this on the radio but i missed the price.

on a side note. if you are really excited to be scanned through the cool new X-ray machine at the airport they pass you through to a regular scanner or was it because im white....any ways thanks LAX for the 30 second trip through security when every one else was 20min with no AC

$5.50 inspection fee by air or by land, no charge if you drive apparently. Still another cash grab.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

do you guys remember when they were playing around with the idea of taxing Americans working elsewhere!

now that would be a cash grab and a half.. If it went through my parents inlaw would have denounced their American citizenship.

do you guys remember when they were playing around with the idea of taxing Americans working elsewhere!

now that would be a cash grab and a half.. If it went through my parents inlaw would have denounced their American citizenship.

They do tax Americans working elsewhere. I have to file taxes every year. As long as Canada taxes me more than the US does, then all is fine. But if they didn't, I would owe in the states. A friend of mine here (another American who is a permanent resident) thought of going into consulting here. But since corporate tax rates in Canada are lower than in the US, he would have had to pay taxes to the states.

I think after you have been gone a certain amount of time, this may not apply.

Guest Sundancefisher
They do tax Americans working elsewhere. I have to file taxes every year. As long as Canada taxes me more than the US does, then all is fine. But if they didn't, I would owe in the states. A friend of mine here (another American who is a permanent resident) thought of going into consulting here. But since corporate tax rates in Canada are lower than in the US, he would have had to pay taxes to the states.

I think after you have been gone a certain amount of time, this may not apply.

If they doubled the taxes in the US it would not pay for the debt servicing. Expect to be paying US taxes in the next 2-5 years.

As for the payment... I doubt they would do it. It is like saying...please don't come to the US and spend your vacation money here...got to Cuba instead.

I was just down in Houston and dam happy to leave. I hated the warm weather, disgusting green plants growing everywhere and trees starting to leaf. I could not wear my parka without people looking at me strange. My Sorel's got really hot in the meetings. At least the toque kept some of the sweat from getting in my eyes.

On a sad note...the Rockets lost to Philly...really sad basketball game...really sad.

Oh...I did see LeAnn Rimes sing in concert. I am concerned she will be stalking me as she keep looking towards me and smiling into the spot light. Very nice songs... Another reason to stay away from the warm weather in Texas.

Thank God that I made it back to Calgary though and the refreshing minus 28 - 1 am breeze this morning. Now this is what I call FUN!

i just find it funny how the president and the prime minister just had a meeting to discuss a freer trade market for crossing boarders, and to make it easier for canadians and americans to enter either country easily. Then they spring this extra fee on us.

I dont think that 5.50 is going to really stop anyone from going on vacation in the states. It will be more of an inconvenience. I'm going to hawaii in september, and for the extra 5.50... i could care less..

Good point, I wonder how many Canadians will be like "that's it, I'm selling my place in Phoenix because I can't afford the $5.50 twice a year!."

.....and for the extra 5.50... i could care less..

The government loves people like you guys, you just brush off the $5.50, and the fact that you and the every other Canadian are paying for Wall Street’s bad bets, GM's shite management/cars, Bernanke's Yacht, Geintner's holiday homes, etc. etc.

It's not the amount, it's the principle (and by principle I am referring to both the monetary and ethical meanings.)

Taxing everyone, and installing hidden (or not) fees to cover the bad bets of the global business sector based in the US- on US dollars, is the biggest fraud robbery in economic history.

That said, judging by all of the bush fires occuring and spreading throughout the Middle East, it won't be long.....

The government loves people like you guys, you just brush off the $5.50, and the fact that you and the every other Canadian are paying for Wall Street’s bad bets, GM's shite management/cars, Bernanke's Yacht, Geintner's holiday homes, etc. etc.

Maybe he's not too concerned about the fee because he's one of those annoying high income earners that's going to haggle them down to $5.25?