Fly Fusion Forums

Bad News

Well, I finally got an answer but not the one I was hoping for.

After much preparation, starting with the booking of my vacation on december 18th 2006, do the tying and looking at what rivers to fish, I was ready to fly into Calgary on the 17th.

Now 12 days before take off, my boss deceided to officially cancel my trip.

I am, in his words, to valuable for the testing of a new system, which by the way should be running already.

They got word from the headoffice that everything should be working before the 1st of october.

So no vacation for me this year.

I do get compensated for the lost vacation, but I rather had gone.

Next year I will definitely be over, as I negotiated that I get an offical statement that I have first choice and there will be no cancelling anything.

So thanks for everybody's help and next year we will definitely fish together,

Rob :(

hmmmm without knowing the details and stuff I would have to say that that sucks big time........ I would have been almost livid as vacation time I think should be guaranteed but I don't know what sort of work you do...... obviously you are important though..... I would ask for 2 vacations next year or a damn big bonus.......

I was a department-manager, but when we implemented a new system I slowly moved in to the IT-team. All other people in the team are externally hired, so the company relies heavily on me. I already warned them several times about the danger of having all the knowledge in the hands of externals, but they won't listen.

Now we have to implement a new version of the system and two other companies we bought.

And don't be afraid, I have many days left and they will be transferred to next year. Also I get a written statement that my vacation next year will not be cancelled and I get to choose what time and how long I am taking off. Also besides them paying for my cancelled vacation I get a bonus toe ease the pain, but still have to wait for the amount as we need that to be discussed further. And they agreed with one week off in september, which will probably be spent in Austria.

So in a way I understand why, but I would have been more happier if my vacation was not cancelled.

Especially with the weather and reports I read here. I spent my last 4 vacations fishing in Alberta and BC and always had rain, wind and snow.

Legally they can cancel the vacation, that is why I want a written statement so next year I can fight it if they decide to do it again.

So next year you will see me and for an extended period. :D

That's too bad Dutch. At least next year the travel expenses should be lowered a bit. It can really suck being in a position where you become too heavily relied upon. I know the feeling. For years when I went on vacation it always had to be arranged when things were not too busy at the office. For the last 10 out of 20 years I have just said the hell with it and gone. Work can wait, and if they can't have anyone else to do the job when I'm gone too bad. If they don't like it they can fire me. It's nice living in Alberta, almost anyone can get a job just by making a phone call.

In my opinion holidays should be mandatory with no exceptions. The amount of time given should also increase on a sliding scale based on service. After 10 years an employee should have to take 3 months off, after 20 years 6 months off. It would prevent burnout.

Dutchdryfly,

That totally sucks. But if it makes you feel better, the fishing in SW Alberta is terrible right now :blink: , but I'm sure it'll be great next year at this time. Terry

I'm sorry to here about you trip, it's really too bad that they have that ability.

My Uncle had a similar run in when they wanted move here, they said No you can't leave. (Fuzzy on the detail, he works for some branch of the NL gov.)

I'm with Grizz tho, ya gotta get'm back.

Maybe you could call in sick for two weeks. Want me to call for you?

Make that three weeks. ;)

But I can tell you that if I call in sick, I will have some doctor at the door within 2 hours.

Courtesy of the boss.

Well, it all has to happen next year and for an extended period.

Something to look forward for, again.

Rob