Fly Fusion Forums

6 Wt Setup

Muffin

Hey everyone probably a reasonably common question around these parts as I believe it is a pretty standard starting fly fishing setup.

I am currently looking at getting a new 6 wt 4 pc 9 foot rod, medium to fast action, I am flexible on the action a bit. I do most of my fishing on the bow currently and dabble in the rivers/creeks in Kananaskis country.

I currently have a Reddington 6 wt 2 piece 9 foot rod which I enjoy but I am looking for a four piece and also to have a second rod so I can take friends out and introduce them to fly fishing.

I looked at a few rods today at the Fly Fishing Expo and really liked the weight of the TFO BVK series rod. I also looked at the Amundson Wind-Warrior series and thought it felt good.

I am also looking for a reel to go with this and some weight forward line that people have had good experience with.

I am sure this is a pretty broad question so please let me know if anyone has any follow up questions or things I need to be consindering.

I welcome everyone's opinion, suggestions and personal experience.

Thanks,

Russell

Oh ya I suppose this may help to narrow a few things down, for cost I am thinking around:

Rod: $200-300ish

Reel: $100-200

Line: $50-100

Max Total: $ 600 if need be I am hoping this will last me quite a few year unless I opt into another weight for specific patterns, ie 4-5 for dries and 7-8 for streamers and such.

Thanks.

Sage Flight 690-4 Package should be slightly below your price range, American made rod, great line and a super rugged reel.

Flight Series rods are available separately or in line weights 4-6, 8 and 9 as part of a complete, perfectly balanced outfit, including a Sage 1800 Series reel, RIO floating line, backing and leader, plus a protective rod/reel case.