Fly Fusion Forums

8wt Reel Advice

FlYiNGuY

I have another post running asking advice on 8wt rods and have had some excellent opinions/ advice, so I thought I might as well throw out a reel advice poll too.

I've been eyeing up a Ross Vexsis #4 (7-9wt) - Any thoughts?

I need something Saltwater ready and around $400, So nothing top of the line and nothing too cheap either.

All opinions / advice welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Check out my posting regarding the rods, but as for reels, like I mentioned:

When it comes to saltwater, you may want to consider spending any extra $$ on a nice reel as that is the tool that you use that is MOST likely to encounter issues. Keys to look for are good and closed drag systems. Daniellson and now Sage make some dandys, but a high end Ross will work too. I own a Vexis, and it will work for saltwater but you have to be sure to rinse with freshwater VERY OFTEN.

So, bottom line, you can make pretty much any reel work for saltwater but key things to consider:

-closed drag systems will create less performance issues

-good drag is KEY

-whether a saltwater specific reel or not, RINSE RINSE RINSE with freshwater lots and often....this will increase the longevity of your equipment.

WoW! Less the 24 Hrs and lots of great replies!! Thanks! I will be sure to check out all the reels everyone mentioned! and Def. make use of that coupon if I go with Ross!

I like the reviews on that Orvis Mirage, and price point isn't bad either (from what i've seen in the US websites) - anyone have first hand experience?

Also what is everyones thoughts on the Sage 4580? - Seems to be quite open to me, nice looking but it would be a bugger is the wind or myself got the line tangled Inside of the reel! and whats with the geared drag system? 3.1 - is that a common thing?

I use a Sage 2560, the old version of the 4500 series. I absolutely love it (only on freshwater though). Can't comment on salt applications but I've never had a problem with line management, drag, or anything going wrong mechanically.

I'm not easy on gear, either...

IMGP1173.JPG

IMGP4510.JPG

IMGP6359.JPG

I highly recommend Nautilus 7/8 FWX. . Very light, well made, bullet proof drag, really good warranty. I have a couple. Galvan Torque or it's less fancy brother the Rush or Rush Light are both great reels but more expensive. If you have the money, get the Nautilus NV!!!!

I've used the Okuma Integrity 8-9 reel for all of my saltwater work so far, and have had absolutely no problems. The drag works fine and the reel has stood up to a fair bit of abuse well. Just rinse it off thoroughly as already mentioned. Another option for you to consider.

Wow Harps a SE green model at that, I've been trying to find one of those for a while now.

The 4500 series is a great reel I've never had line come into the spool because of wind. nor have I seen it happen, I think it's a none issue.

As for the geardrive drag, it's a great system the drag can apply more pressure due the 3:1 ratio, the gears are self cleaning and whn i first purchased mine I was concerned with sand getting into the gear, but after trying and never getting it stuck I am pretty happy. The drag of all current Sage drag reels is a SCS drag, Sealed Carbon System and it is fresh or saltwater capable. If you want a great drag for a reasonable price why not look at the Sage 4200 in the 9-10 wt.

My choice was the Danielsson F3W 4seven for your wishes the Danielsson F3W 7ten fits the bill.

I know the 4seven is right in your price point however I am not sure what the 7ten goes for.

It's worth looking at IMO (Fish Tales sells them)

Danielsson Site

Cheers and good luck