Fly Fusion Forums

Sizing Old Bamboo Rods

Anyone have any tips for how to determine appropriate line weight for an old bamboo split cane rod? I bought one a few years ago from a friend who was in his late 60's at the time and said it was his father's who he thinks bought it in the 1940's. It is definitely journeyman quality with no line weight markings but worth the few bucks I invested. I christened it a couple of years ago on the Skagit fooling a a nice standard Skagit size bow using a 5 weight line but think it might have been a little light.

With most 9ft blue collar cane from then, you should start at about a DT6 and work from there. If you don't have a few lines to try, take it to a shop and try a few, and buy which ever you like best.

Thanks. I never thought about trying a DT. I was using WF and the 8 weight I tried was too much for the rod but I bet you are right and either a DT 6 or 7 will be about right.

What is the make and length of the rod?

Anyone have any tips for how to determine appropriate line weight for an old bamboo split cane rod? I bought one a few years ago from a friend who was in his late 60's at the time and said it was his father's who he thinks bought it in the 1940's. It is definitely journeyman quality with no line weight markings but worth the few bucks I invested. I christened it a couple of years ago on the Skagit fooling a a nice standard Skagit size bow using a 5 weight line but think it might have been a little light.

if you want to test drive the line first bring it down to the flyfish expo in a few weeks.

Would love to expect I live in Agassiz BC, bit of a long drive. I might be able to do it at the BC show in Abbotsford if they will have the casting pool there again this year.

olddieselguy,

Line weights for rods is a very personal thing. The manufacturer or rod designer had or may have had a line weight in mind when he did the taper.

However!!!!!

His opinion is just as valid as yours. If you think the rod needs another line weight to perform to your expectation, by all means, use it.

Here is a selection of Old Wive's Tales for your FF enjoyment:

1] you must line the rod with the builder's recommendation

2] Over-lining rods will cause them to crack/bust/split or may in extreme cases cause your latte to get cold.

3] You must never use sinking lines with bamboo rods.

4] Bamboo rods are tender. - Do try the rod on rod test - lay your favorite plastic rod next to your bamboo rod and walk up them - go fishing - test complete.

catch ya'

Don

PS: took a run at a 7'6" 4 wt.taper this winter and built 2 rods. Finished them up and lawn cast. Casts a 4 wt. fine, a 5 weight fine and kinds runs outta gas with a 6 wt over 65' out or the guides. One of the rods is heading for the Edmonton TU Lloyd Shea Fund and should be available for examination in the Northern Lites Fly Tying Club booth @ the FF show in Calgary the other is on my web site.

If you want to fish with a plastic line I would try a 6 wt WF to start and work from there.

It is an S. Allcock & Co., made in Redditch England. It is a 3 piece 9 foot with two extra tips (I think only one is part of the origal rod) and still has its original brown cloth rod sack.