headscan

Switch rod casting  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How do you cast your switch rod?

• Two hand spey
    • Single hand spey
    • Two hand overhead
    • Single hand overhead

Something Whistler mentioned in another thread got me wondering how many people actually overhead cast their switch rods. Personally I've only spey cast mine either one or two handed. I have overhead cast it when I was just playing around but I can't think of any time I've actually done that while fishing.

And for those of you who cast overhead what kind of line are you using and is it the same line you use for spey casting?

Overhead casting a Switch rod is quite natural...in fact it is underutilized! Here on the Island we have many opportunities to need an overhead cast especially off the beaches. Distance is quite easy with a simple combination roll cast/overhead cast style. If distance is what you are really after then the Skagit style line you might be using for River or moving waters isn't the ideal set-up. A longer head with a much smoother front taper is apt to give you much better results. One of my favorite overhead lines off the beaches is a Snowbee Short Head Scandanavian Spey line in the 320-350 range. The head is approx. 45',well tapered and bang on...

For overhead casting the need for short heavy heads ,like a Skagit,isn't desireable...the need to master tight well formed and longish loops is the goal.

When river fishing the need to overhead cast is also often overlooked...dropping a size 16 Stimulator at 100' isn't difficult if you have the room,combining a spey cast /overhead cast is an efective tool to get results often not possible

C

I've been using switch rods for overhead casting for a few years now, only the last few months have I jumped intop spey. I have an 11' Greys Grxi 6/7, closer to a 5/6 IMO and run an WF7F Airflo40+ on it and love it for bombing nymph rigs n' streamers. I also have a Custom built with removable 4" butt Amundson 11 3/4 with a 6wt 40+ great for skiddin' stones. I have only played around with single handed spey casting on these.

How about 'all of the above' ?

Colin

That's why I made it a multiple choice poll so you can select more than one ;)

From the results so far it seems like most people are using their switch rods more as short, light spey rods than switch rods in the sense of both overhead and spey casting them. I guess one variable I didn't take into account was what people consider to be a switch rod. It's a lot easier to spend any time single hand overhead casting a 10'6" switch than an 11'9" one.

Its kind of Ironic that this thread is about at this time...for the past several days ,previous to yesterday the 24th of December,I have been fishing a New proto type 6 wt.,10'8" Snowbee Switch rod ...the water conditions are or at least were lowish and clear...a bit of Snow and yes several Steelhead...but most importantly,to me, is at how enjoyable this stick is..what I found is that I overhead cast it most of the time but in tight quarters I needed to Spey Cast to deliver an effective presentation. Also of note is the realization that the conditions were ideal and that this rod was just enough to land a 10 lb Steelhead...clearly a good option in conditions that suit. The key to its ability was definitely the line match and size of fly being fished..I was using the Beulah Tonic 320 head and 12' of T-14,short leader about 4' and a weighted ProTube fly

post-1701-1293333901.jpg

post-1701-1293333936.jpg

Today was the first day with my TCX5119 & it looks like it comes with good Karma. I caught a nice 18" Brown, & what a beautiful Brown it was, quite dark, darker than any Brown I have ever caught before, but alas no picture. Anyway back to the topic.

I was spey casting with RIO's new 5/6 Switch line and was doing pretty well getting some good distance but my guides were icing up & couldnt shoot any line, so I switched (pun not intended) to nymphing. I cast all the different ways spey with a streamer, then overhand & spey while nymphing, and must say the distance with an overhand cast with 2 flys was was pretty darn impressive, with little effort, no tangles & with the ability to make quite large mends was a benefit.

As the Poll suggest the primary reason was for me was the Spey Casting, but the ability to change casts made my day, & is also the reason for me purchasing a Switch rod, Also the RIO Switch Line was big help also, because of it design the change from the Sink Tip to 2 fly rig nymphing with an indicator was pretty simple.

• 7 months later...

I have a Helios 7wt 11" that i mostly two hand spey cast with but when the need arises like beach fishing ill throw a 250gr streamer express surf line on it and it casts quite well. I only fish streamers with it but i may end up skating dries to steelhead. I fish a 480gr skagit for my moving water stuff.